• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter 2021/2022 Model Archive

Ollie Williams

It Gon' Rain
Reaction score
Fall/Winter is coming! This is much earlier than I anticipated to start the thread, but nevertheless, I'm excited! This is our third edition of the Winter Archive thread series! I'm hoping that we actually get a memorable storm this time around. This thread should track the successes and failures of not just our chances of getting snow, but model accuracy as well. Hopefully, this doesn't become the GFS model thread again. I think this thread had its act together last winter, unlike the hurricane thread. Last year we got 160 considerable runs, and 178 the year before. Let's see if we can beat that!

This thread is pretty easy to maintain, so I don't mind doing it. If you are interested in posting, I stress to please follow the rules below. They are the same as last year.

Structural rules for posting:
1. Please keep all banter, and post reactions out of the thread. For example, if I were to post a map, please do not quote the post, and reply below, "That would be interesting," for example. If you do want to do that, quote the post and reply in the banter thread. Hopefully, mods can help manage that if it becomes an issue.
2. When posting please add the date, and model name, and run to the top of the post, for example, 12z GFS 1/1/2022
3. In the post, add a link to where the model run is discussed/posted. This is a new rule and something that I want to try and would be much more useful, than having to go through the catalog.

Criteria for posting model maps:
I'm leaving this very broad. Whatever snow maps seem impressive, but not redundant. Let's try to keep it in the SE.

If you have any questions, PM me, without further ado, happy winter!
-Ollie Williams

12z GFS 9/16/21
Operational GFS snow in the mountains
2055F663-3D96-4B97-8EF4-A07674925B08.jpggfs_z500a_us_53.pngf7eab8dc-4cdb-482e-9cbe-b5fc8799fc83.gif

12z ICON 10/29
First Wintery ICON run!
79433362.gificon-all-carolinas-total_snow_10to1-6156800.pngicon-all-conus-z500_anom-6156800.pngicon-all-carolinas-t2m_f-6092000.png

Back