• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Januworry

Do you still think that we will still see a pattern flip in early January

I personally am under the impression early-mid January is our only real shot here. Don't have much faith in February during La Nina, esp when it looks like subseasonal forcing may strongly favor warmth (even more so than now)

I personally am under the impression early-mid January is our only real shot here. Don't have much faith in February during La Nina, esp when it looks like subseasonal forcing may strongly favor warmth (even more so than now)
Still think blocking will help us in the end the -NAO will come thru for cold rain CAD parties

Regarding that EPS trend toward a stronger -NAO that you were showing on Thursday in animation for what was then week 2, has that continued to hold?

Not mad eventually this would get shaked up with that look View attachment 98490
@Myfrotho704_ I'm bored with this game and want to discuss weather. What do you see in this that would lead to a shake up? Nicky didn't agree with my analysis of the map but wouldn't answer when I asked him how it would shake up. lol Just curious what you see that I don't taking this verbatim?

Although the 12Z EPS was clearly warmer than 0Z as Webb showed, the 360 hour map, itself, isn’t a bad look to me as regards the potential evolution to a much better pattern in early January:

3FA4160A-8851-4F7A-B056-20408B1EA43B.pngFC4FB514-6A09-4E10-A5D4-10AD1359DB60.png

Of course, I realize that having to look at ends of runs for hope is getting old and we need to see more forward progress to resume like it was doing nicely before. We probably need the MJO to finally get to phase 8.

Although the 12Z EPS was clearly warmer than 0Z as Webb showed, the 360 hour map, itself, isn’t a bad look to me as regards the potential evolution to a much better pattern in early January:

View attachment 98502View attachment 98503

Of course, I realize that having to look at ends of runs for hope is getting old and we need to see more forward progress to resume like it was doing nicely before. We probably need the MJO to finally get to phase 8.
+PNA ... IMHO ... and now going back into the cone of silence, Maxwell ...

@Myfrotho704_ I'm bored with this game and want to discuss weather. What do you see in this that would lead to a shake up? Nicky didn't agree with my analysis of the map but wouldn't answer when I asked him how it would shake up. lol Just curious what you see that I don't taking this verbatim?
There would probably be a attempt at a ridge bridge from the -NAO and AK ridge which would initially try to slide the TPV east, and if that failed (probably would have) we would have to wait for another series of -PNA due to that energy diving down north of AK, all we need is the ridge to get close to the western US and that would be enough for a conus trough

There would probably be a attempt at a ridge bridge from the -NAO and AK ridge which would initially try to slide the TPV east, and if that failed (probably would have) we would have to wait for another series of -PNA due to that energy diving down north of AK, all we need is the ridge to get close to the western US and that would be enough for a conus trough
Now you may have a point there. I think a conus trough is more likely than a +PNA east coast trough at this point. At least for awhile. A ridge bridge would be ok. If we went that route though I wouldn't want to lose the blocking over Greenland. If we lost the NAO we'd essentially be looking at a strong -AO and Aluetian ridge. A strong-AO is good to see but it only guarantees the Arctic is dumped somewhere but the other indices have a say where it goes. In that case the Aleutian ridge would definitely dump it on the west. Anyway that's enough analyzing an op model at range lol on to 18Z

Webber, I saw your diagram of phase 7 in January of enso. That would be a pretty good look if it occurs. How does that work out with a +AAM as well? Continued blocking?

Also, why isnt the cold being sped up in modeling? Or what do we need to see take place for it to happen? Instead of the chasing unicorns again scenario lol

Webber, I saw your diagram of phase 7 in January of enso. That would be a pretty good look if it occurs. How does that work out with a +AAM as well? Continued blocking?
I for one hope it's still stuck in phase 7 come January and then slowly creep through 8 in mid Jan. Because you're right, phase 7 is excellent in Jan and phase 8 is right there with it. That's where the hope comes in for January. The -NAO alone isn't going to do it this time with that Pac ridge in place. But exactly how the MJO breaks that ridge down is for Webber to explain. He explained on the previous page we need to get the Pac jet to undercut it and force it north. But how or if the MJO can actually do that I do not know.

I for one hope it's still stuck in phase 7 come January and then slowly creep through 8 in mid Jan. Because you're right, phase 7 is excellent in Jan and phase 8 is right there with it. That's where the hope comes in for January. The -NAO alone isn't going to do it this time with that Pac ridge in place. But exactly how the MJO breaks that ridge down is for Webber to explain.

The simple point is if the models keep delaying the cold, its probably not going to happen. I guess phase 7 would be good if its there in January

Now you may have a point there. I think a conus trough is more likely than a +PNA east coast trough at this point. At least for awhile. A ridge bridge would be ok. If we went that route though I wouldn't want to lose the blocking over Greenland. If we lost the NAO we'd essentially be looking at a strong -AO and Aluetian ridge. A strong-AO is good to see but it only guarantees the Arctic is dumped somewhere but the other indices have a say where it goes. In that case the Aleutian ridge would definitely dump it on the west. Anyway that's enough analyzing an op model at range lol on to 18Z
I’m getting concerned about the NA blocking trend and GOA ridge trend, not worried but a little concerned

I’m getting concerned about the NA blocking trend and GOA ridge trend, not worried but a little concerned
Yeah like I said yesterday both of those blocks at the same time is rare and one usually destroys the other. And I'm hoping it's not the -NAO that goes. But I'm not real sure if that applies here since that's not really a -EPO ridge.

Back