• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Winter 2020/2021 Model Archive

Ollie Williams

It Gon' Rain
Reaction score
It's the moment you've all been waiting for, this year's winter archive thread! For the newer folks, I had done this last year, basically creating a gif of every single run in the SE that showed some snow, to track successes and failures throughout the year. Last year was primarily experimental and I made a few mistakes, however, I learned from them, and I think we can make this one better than last year's permitting that there is enough model noise.

For the most part, in the winter thread, I did all the model posting, and it's not too hard to maintain when in the heart of the season, you only see about five post-worthy runs a week, particularly on the GFS. However, while we really didn't experience this last year, if I could anybody help me post during a big storm when every run is model-worthy, I would really appreciate it, as long as they follow the rules, and format for posting in this thread. (see below)

Structural rules for posting:
1. Please keep all banter, and post reactions out of the thread. For example, if I were to post a map, please do not quote the post, and reply below, "That would be interesting," for example. If you do want to do that, quote the post and reply in the banter thread. Hopefully, mods can help manage that if it becomes an issue.
2. When posting please add the date, and model name, and run to the top of the post, for example: 12z GFS 1/1/2021
3. In the post, add a link to where the model run is discussed/posted. This is a new rule and something that I want to try and would be much more useful, than having to go through the catalog.

Criteria for posting model maps:
ECMWF/CMC/ICON/GFs- All Snow in the SE
GEFS/EPS- Impressive model runs
Short-range models- optional

If you have any questions, PM me, without further ado, happy winter!
-Ollie Williams

18z GFS 9/26/2020
First GFS operational run to advertise snow in the SE.
gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_seus_fh354-384 (1).gif
gfs-deterministic-nc-total_snow_10to1-2525600.png
gfs_z500a_us_63.png

Last edited:
18z GEFS 10/9
First major winter member in NC! 11 on COD maps 10 on Wxbell
output_77TSm8.gifgfs-ensemble-all-avg-se-snow_total_multimember_panel-3648800.pngGEFSMA_prec_snens_378.png
The mean is >0 that happened on 10/28 last year on both sites map.gfs-ensemble-all-avg-se-total_snow_10to1-3648800.png

12z GFS 10/18
Snow into MS and AL
ezgif-3-5e25b93cf4c3.gifgfs-deterministic-se-total_snow_10to1-3908000.png

Back