• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter 2019-20 Discussion

I just saw this comparison of the winters since 2007-8 vs those of the prior decade (see images below), which confirms how strong the dominating SER has been on average since 2007-8 along with how much colder it has been in the Midwest and Rockies. This even includes the cold 2009-10 and 2010-11 and still the SER has easily dominated. The 2007-8+ map looks to me like it has been dominated by a La Ninaish pattern. Well, per ONI, there have been 6 La Niña, 4 El Niño, and 2 neutral though that doesn’t really scream Nina: https://origin.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/ensostuff/ONI_v5.php

Will 2019-20 be similar? I don’t think so and still don’t think the SER will be nearly as strong as last winter. The biggest hope for me is that we eek out a weak El Niño and at least get a near normal winter rather than a torch. The last 90 days of SOI say that’s quite possible:
https://www.longpaddock.qld.gov.au/soi/

Of course, some might say that last winter was a weak El Niño and look at what we got and also that we’ve got a warmer globe and especially warmer Arctic the last few years. Fair enough but 2018-9 was by a pretty wide margin the warmest weak El Niño on record in the SE. Also, we have the wild card of the weakest solar minimum in perhaps 200 years ongoing.

The prior 10 winters’ average look like El Niño type pattern domination with warmer north vs cooler south. But per ONI, there were 4 La Niña to go along with the 4 La Niña meaning balanced.

First, here are Winters since 2007-8: SER dominated/La Niña look:

F4CBF4FC-95D9-4A12-AB26-8907531501E3.png

Second, here are the prior 10 winters: warm Midwest/Rockies and no dominating SER/El Niño look
925C7D42-D4A4-4ED4-A3FC-3C98D7B25D45.png

Last edited:
I just saw this comparison of the winters since 2007-8 vs those of the prior decade (see images below), which confirms how strong the dominating SER has been on average since 2007-8 along with how much colder it has been in the Midwest and Rockies. This even includes the cold 2009-10 and 2010-11 and still the SER has easily dominated. The 2007-8+ map looks to me like it has been dominated by a La Ninaish pattern. Well, per ONI, there have been 6 La Niña, 4 El Niño, and 2 neutral though that doesn’t really scream Nina: https://origin.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/ensostuff/ONI_v5.php

Will 2019-20 be similar? I don’t think so and still don’t think the SER will be nearly as strong as last winter. The biggest hope for me is that we eek out a weak El Niño and at least get a near normal winter rather than a torch. The last 90 days of SOI say that’s quite possible:
https://www.longpaddock.qld.gov.au/soi/

Of course, some might say that last winter was a weak El Niño and look at what we got and also that we’ve got a warmer globe and especially warmer Arctic the last few years. Fair enough but 2018-9 was by a pretty wide margin the warmest weak El Niño on record in the SE. Also, we have the wild card of the weakest solar minimum in perhaps 200 years ongoing.

The prior 10 winters’ average look like El Niño type pattern domination with warmer north vs cooler south. But per ONI, there were 4 La Niña to go along with the 4 La Niña meaning balanced.

Winters since 2007-8: SER dominated/La Niña lookView attachment 26433

Prior 10 winters: warm Midwest/Rockies and no dominating SER/El Niño look
View attachment 26434
Great perspective, Larry!

WRAL weather is giving their winter outlook tonight during the 6:00 news.

I still say +2 to +4 for the se for the winter as a whole. I'm not saying that just because I'm pessimistic, I truly believe it. The last decade has proven this and the warm spells will be far greater and longer lasting than the cold spells. As far as snow I'm not as pessimistic as one storm can double seasonal averages in most places.

I still say +2 to +4 for the se for the winter as a whole. I'm not saying that just because I'm pessimistic, I truly believe it. The last decade has proven this and the warm spells will be far greater and longer lasting than the cold spells. As far as snow I'm not as pessimistic as one storm can double seasonal averages in most places.
So far this year it’s seemed to be the opposite .. warm doesn’t last long at all and then extended cold periods .. we will see it it changes

Cohens blog.

https://www.aer.com/science-research/climate-weather/arctic-oscillation/

Some highlights. It’s seems the prevailing thought that the current strat model runs is good news for impending cold later in winter. But if you read his blog, specially the blurbs below it’s really not that good a news.

A PV disruption of the magnitude predicted by most models seems to me to more strongly indicative of an absorptive event.

Ironically, I was thinking, though I argue that PV disruptions lead to more severe winter weather across the NH mid-latitudes, the only guarantee with PV disruption seems to be a multi week period of milder weather for Europe and the Eastern US leading up to and including the PV disruption.

It is almost damned if you do and damned if you don’t. If the PV is stable and strong that overwhelmingly favors mild weather and if the PV is significantly disrupted only milder weather is nearly for certain with much more uncertainty with the ensuing severe winter weather. The one possible exception seems to me are the reflected PV events where there seems to be a much stronger likelihood of North American cold weather east of the Rockies.

Well....

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

So what's the takeaway? After studying previous years, Gardner and Maze think it will be a milder winter with less snow than last year.

No El Niño this year could mean a milder winter with less snow
http://wr.al/1GqOA

Cohens blog.

https://www.aer.com/science-research/climate-weather/arctic-oscillation/

Some highlights. It’s seems the prevailing thought that the current strat model runs is good news for impending cold later in winter. But if you read his blog, specially the blurbs below it’s really not that good a news.

A PV disruption of the magnitude predicted by most models seems to me to more strongly indicative of an absorptive event.

Ironically, I was thinking, though I argue that PV disruptions lead to more severe winter weather across the NH mid-latitudes, the only guarantee with PV disruption seems to be a multi week period of milder weather for Europe and the Eastern US leading up to and including the PV disruption.

It is almost damned if you do and damned if you don’t. If the PV is stable and strong that overwhelmingly favors mild weather and if the PV is significantly disrupted only milder weather is nearly for certain with much more uncertainty with the ensuing severe winter weather. The one possible exception seems to me are the reflected PV events where there seems to be a much stronger likelihood of North American cold weather east of the Rockies.
All this strat stuff is horsesh#t.

All this strat stuff is horsesh#t.

He was crystal clear, the only guarantee is we will get AN temps leading up to a SSWE...a “multi-week” period. He then says there is no guarantee it will get BN in the East after with an absorptive event. He made it seem like a coin flip. Why are we even rooting for this then. Kind of funny actually, it’s a cool phenomenon but the most likely outcome is we will get AN temps over a “multi-week” period. I just wanna kick someone in the groin area.

He was crystal clear, the only guarantee is we will get AN temps leading up to a SSWE...a “multi-week” period. He then says there is no guarantee it will get BN in the East after with an absorptive event. He made it seem like a coin flip. Why are we even rooting for this then. Kind of funny actually, it’s a cool phenomenon but the most likely outcome is we will get AN temps over a “multi-week” period. I just wanna kick someone in the groin area.

It only help Russia. Russia needs to start helps us.... oh wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back