• Hello guests. Please take a minute to sign up and join in the conversation. It's free, quick, and easy!

Wintry Winter 2019-20 Discussion

GaWx

Supporter
Another mild winter averaged out with SE ridge domination is likely. The trend is your friend. The warm ocean in combo with GW help make this likely to verify correctly. Regardless, I predict it will still be way more comfortable and therefore way more enjoyable than the summer. I expect there will still be a few short periods of intense cold as is almost always the case, which will make things interesting on occasion.

I also predict with even higher confidence that JB (and others) will predict cold and that that forecast will fail miserably.

I predict KATL will end up around 2-4F warmer than the 30 year normal or near 47-49 for DJF. There may be one major ZR or sleet threat if ENSO cools to cold neutral. There will be no major snows though they’ll be teased as usual with a threat or two. In addition to any possible sleet, I predict 0.4” of snow. So, it will be much snowier than last winter’s shutout but still well below the long term average near 2”. The northside will average near 1” of snow.

Last edited:
ATL Predictions
Dec: 3-5F above average, 0" of snow
Jan: 2-4F above average, 0.2" of snow
Feb: 3-5F above average, 0" of snow
Mar: Spring

Overall, another horrid winter plagued by a +NAO. The biggest winner in the SE will be TN. The biggest loser will be the Midlands of SC.

ForsythSnow

Staff member
My guess which will be wrong I'm sure for N metro ATL.

D - Above normal temps, average precip. No snow.
J - Slight below normal temps with below average precip. Dusting at best.
F - Average temps, average precip, small 1 to 4 inch snow event early in the month.
M - warming with lingering winter.

I think there will be something in the North Metro area this year. For the Carolinas, Mountain areas definitely will get something, and the west half as well. Probably have an RDU split on the only possible storm. Probably another I-40 special sometime in January. I don't thing any -NAO's with impact will happen. There should be a few +PNA events to watch for but I'm not sure when and if they'll produce. In general, probably going to be a slightly warmer winter in the SE as a whole with a couple small snow events outside the mountains.

Myfrotho704_

It’ll make its own cold air
CLT will get 3 inches of snow this winter, ATL gets 0.5, GSO gets 10”, RAH gets 7”, BAM gets 2.4”, CAE gets T-0.2, CHS gets lucky with a coastal and gets 1.3, random but basically similar to what’s happened these past years

GaStorm

Supporter
Even if we end up slightly warmer than average that will seem chilly compared to last winter. If we don't score one good storm this coming winter I would expect one the year after. That has been the trend after a non winter year like last year.

I think it will be a Neutral ENSO year with normal temps and below normal precip until late Feb/March. Snow will be hard to come by outside the mountains but Ice will be a nuisance several times north of Ga.

Just a Avg winter here in ATL would be a win. I am looking forward to being missed to my north, east, south and west again with 2-3 32.6 degrees rain events.
Snowfall totals 0.1
Ice totals 0.1
Cold rain totals 4-9 inches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Y'all, I live in Maggie Valley NC and the winters here have sucked lately! Yeah, got our 13 in Dec storm then maybe 2in rest of the way. Idk, we use to average 20+ easy back in the day. However, remember playing bball in shorts in jan as well. 09/10 here was epic! Holy Wow! Snow didn't melt on Northside till April!. Take that again, please