• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter 2019-20 Discussion

Even if we end up slightly warmer than average that will seem chilly compared to last winter. If we don't score one good storm this coming winter I would expect one the year after. That has been the trend after a non winter year like last year.

Think 03/04 was a Niña, it rocked!
We can usually work a clipper in during a northern stream dominant winter. Hard to get frozen to fall with the Southern stream dumping hot air on you for 4 straight months. I’ll take my chances with a Niña for sure

I think it will be a Neutral ENSO year with normal temps and below normal precip until late Feb/March. Snow will be hard to come by outside the mountains but Ice will be a nuisance several times north of Ga.

Just a Avg winter here in ATL would be a win. I am looking forward to being missed to my north, east, south and west again with 2-3 32.6 degrees rain events.
Snowfall totals 0.1
Ice totals 0.1
Cold rain totals 4-9 inches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Y'all, I live in Maggie Valley NC and the winters here have sucked lately! Yeah, got our 13 in Dec storm then maybe 2in rest of the way. Idk, we use to average 20+ easy back in the day. However, remember playing bball in shorts in jan as well. 09/10 here was epic! Holy Wow! Snow didn't melt on Northside till April!. Take that again, please

Saw this from Ben Noll. Looks about right Lol. However seasonal models have proven to be horrible in regards to verifying.

Saw this from Ben Noll. Looks about right Lol. However seasonal models have proven to be horrible in regards to verifying.

Go with the warmth. Don’t fight reality. The trend is your friend. Models are, indeed, often wrong because they often have had it cold when it turned out mild. Not so much the other way. There’s been a cold bias overall due to too much ridging out west and too much troughing in the east. A model actually showing ridging in the east is obviously quite believable. Expecting another overall mild winter with confidence. Confidence is increased even further if we don’t have El Niño.

Last edited:
Go with the warmth. Don’t fight reality. The trend is your friend. Models are, indeed, often wrong because they often have had it cold when it turned out mild. Not so much the other way. Expecting another overall mild winter with confidence. Confidence is increased even further if we don’t have El Niño.
If the only thing that said no snow was the devil it would be the one and only time he would be right. LOL

My prediction for RDU:
December - 0" snowfall, +3F above average
January - 2.6" snowfall, +1F above average
February - 0.6" snowfall, +4F above average

Hard to predict against December being warmer than normal for the 9th straight year. Last year's December snowfall was quite unusual so I'm going to go with a shutout for December. January likely won't be snowless again, so I'm going with one moderate event in January. Maybe one small event in February with sleet/ZR before mild weather sets in during the second half of the month.

This is based on gut feeling more than anything, and is not based off models.

Big announcement from me tonight. I fully believe spring will quickly happen during late to maybe even mid winter southern Charlotte NC to Columbia SC and parts of Wake County NC. Winter will still be present February/March for northern foothills into Boone.

Big announcement from me tonight. I fully believe spring will quickly happen during late to maybe even mid winter southern Charlotte NC to Columbia SC and parts of Wake County NC. Winter will still be present February/March for northern foothills into Boone.
That sounds like par for the course, bird bro

Man It’s gonna suck, my next door neighbor might be on the spring side of wake county while I’m on the winter . Bird any indications where the lines will set up? Departures on either side of these arbitrarily drawn lines ? What is winter ? Explain! Negative anomalies ? Normal temps ? What is spring ! Man forecasters will struggle with this

I feel like this thread gets earlier every year lol. Talking winter in July!? Not complaining, I love it!

In any event, way too early to call enso but it appears neutral to weak Niño is most probable. Nina appears out of the cards. I’ll take a neutral year any day.

450cc99fc29b4e7eac184398610238ac.jpg

My prediction for RDU:
December - 0" snowfall, +3F above average
January - 2.6" snowfall, +1F above average
February - 0.6" snowfall, +4F above average

Hard to predict against December being warmer than normal for the 9th straight year. Last year's December snowfall was quite unusual so I'm going to go with a shutout for December. January likely won't be snowless again, so I'm going with one moderate event in January. Maybe one small event in February with sleet/ZR before mild weather sets in during the second half of the month.

This is based on gut feeling more than anything, and is not based off models.
Can't argue here.

Was kicking the tires on something like +5-7 for December 0-+2 Jan +3-5 for Feb -2-4 for Mar

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I feel like this thread gets earlier every year lol. Talking winter in July!? Not complaining, I love it!

In any event, way too early to call enso but it appears neutral to weak Niño is most probable. Nina appears out of the cards. I’ll take a neutral year any day.

450cc99fc29b4e7eac184398610238ac.jpg

Take my chances with a weak Niña any day ... El Niño’s mostly boring winters. ... just wet

Back