• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter 2019-20 Discussion

Snowfan

El Nina stinks
Reaction score
Thought it was time to start the thread. It looks like we could be in neutral this winter.

Another mild winter averaged out with SE ridge domination is likely. The trend is your friend. The warm ocean in combo with GW help make this likely to verify correctly. Regardless, I predict it will still be way more comfortable and therefore way more enjoyable than the summer. I expect there will still be a few short periods of intense cold as is almost always the case, which will make things interesting on occasion.

I also predict with even higher confidence that JB (and others) will predict cold and that that forecast will fail miserably.

I predict KATL will end up around 2-4F warmer than the 30 year normal or near 47-49 for DJF. There may be one major ZR or sleet threat if ENSO cools to cold neutral. There will be no major snows though they’ll be teased as usual with a threat or two. In addition to any possible sleet, I predict 0.4” of snow. So, it will be much snowier than last winter’s shutout but still well below the long term average near 2”. The northside will average near 1” of snow.

Last edited:
ATL Predictions
Dec: 3-5F above average, 0" of snow
Jan: 2-4F above average, 0.2" of snow
Feb: 3-5F above average, 0" of snow
Mar: Spring

Overall, another horrid winter plagued by a +NAO. The biggest winner in the SE will be TN. The biggest loser will be the Midlands of SC.

GSP gets 200% of normal snowfall! So about 12”, from another December snowstorm! Frontloaded and backloaded!

My guess which will be wrong I'm sure for N metro ATL.

D - Above normal temps, average precip. No snow.
J - Slight below normal temps with below average precip. Dusting at best.
F - Average temps, average precip, small 1 to 4 inch snow event early in the month.
M - warming with lingering winter.

I think there will be something in the North Metro area this year. For the Carolinas, Mountain areas definitely will get something, and the west half as well. Probably have an RDU split on the only possible storm. Probably another I-40 special sometime in January. I don't thing any -NAO's with impact will happen. There should be a few +PNA events to watch for but I'm not sure when and if they'll produce. In general, probably going to be a slightly warmer winter in the SE as a whole with a couple small snow events outside the mountains.

CLT will get 3 inches of snow this winter, ATL gets 0.5, GSO gets 10”, RAH gets 7”, BAM gets 2.4”, CAE gets T-0.2, CHS gets lucky with a coastal and gets 1.3, random but basically similar to what’s happened these past years

CLT will get 3 inches of snow this winter, ATL gets 0.5, GSO gets 10”, RAH gets 7”, BAM gets 2.4”, CAE gets T-0.2, CHS gets lucky with a coastal and gets 1.3, random but basically similar to what’s happened these past years
How much for mby!???????

Back