• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Severe Strong, slow moving SE storm 12/21-23

How did Georgia fair with those high wind warnings and flooding. Total dud here with very light rates. Maybe coastal SC will see a little flooding but it only takes 1” to flood there so..I can’t believe this was compared to ‘93.
Just under 2" here and we had some gusty winds. Not sure about how strong but we verified slightly above the wind advisory criteria near here.

Round 2 -

View attachment 28870

Just drove back from Tampa... amazing the amount of standing water along I-75, and the temp differential over just 130 miles ...

Speaking of standing water, I now have a brand new Lake Larry in MBY! Below is a map of the CoCoRaHS 24 hour precip amounts ending ~7 AM today in Chatham County. I'm toward the middle of the county where ~4.5-5" had fallen per this map. Since then, another 0.50-0.75" fell. My total is 5.35" and the event isn't finished! The upper low shown on Phil's radar over the NE GOM is moving E and the deformation zone on the NW side of the upper low will bring rains back to the area tonight with as much as another inch or so forecasted (12Z Euro has 0.75"). So, I could be pushing 6" when this is all over tomorrow morning.

Officially at KSAV, 4.21" has fallen, already making it the 4th wettest Dec. event on record going back to the 1870s. The total could get close to 5" by tomorrow morning. That would make it the 3rd wettest.

GetMap.aspx.gif

Speaking of standing water, I now have a brand new Lake Larry in MBY! Below is a map of the CoCoRaHS 24 hour precip amounts ending ~7 AM today in Chatham County. I'm toward the middle of the county where ~4.5-5" had fallen per this map. Since then, another 0.50-0.75" fell. My total is 5.35" and the event isn't finished! The upper low shown on Phil's radar over the NE GOM is moving E and the deformation zone on the NW side of the upper low will bring rains back to the area tonight with as much as another inch or so forecasted (12Z Euro has 0.75"). So, I could be pushing 6" when this is all over tomorrow morning.

Officially at KSAV, 4.21" has fallen, already making it the 4th wettest Dec. event on record going back to the 1870s. The total could get close to 5" by tomorrow morning. That would make it the 3rd wettest.

View attachment 28875
Wow!

How did Georgia fair with those high wind warnings and flooding. Total dud here with very light rates. Maybe coastal SC will see a little flooding but it only takes 1” to flood there so..I can’t believe this was compared to ‘93.

1.42in and lots of small branches down - woodstock ga

2.3"** and it was breezy and brisk yesterday. Don't know about the high winds.

Euro did good on this one, thankfully no known issues locally I believe from the hefty rain totals but I'm not sure how much more can be taken in lower areas.

Edit: Whoops, I was wrong. Dam break in Aiken County over in SC. Major flooding over there.

2nd edit: Well, dad claims I read the rain gauge wrong so I put the edited number that he said. Not sure here and I don't have backup to check, so "shrug".

Last edited:
The water table is so high in this area from this very heavy rain event that many septic tanks are backing up. But the roads are mostly fine now because it has been a very long duration steady rain rather than thunderstorms causing torrential downpours/street flooding. The yards look worse than the roads.

More rain is now falling as the upper low gets closer in its trek over FL south of here. Will be adding to my event total that is already over 5". Will it get to 6" by tomorrow morning?

Back