• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Severe Strong, slow moving SE storm 12/21-23

The ECMWF of 2010 was roughly as skillful as today’s Fv3 GFS, that’s how far behind the curve we are with NWP in the US vs Europe.

What is strange though is it seems the Euro then was better at picking out storms more consistently, but that may just be perception at the time. I know the old GFS as bad as it was more reliable.

What are the temps looking like for the event on all of the models, honestly I wouldn't mind CR if it was like this.

Sent from my Z983 using Tapatalk

Euro has been consistent with the low pushing towards Alabama coast

All models have been consistently increasing rain accumulations for SC as we get closer to verification. Flooding will definitely be in play!!

Honestly, Webb what causes precipitation to increase in Intensity in SC?

The track of the upper low has shifted NW in the GFS, slowed down & become stronger in later runs, which increases both the intensity and duration of the moisture fetch on its eastern flank over SC and also shifts this warm conveyor belt further north. Not only does this mean the precip comes northward, but the precip that does come further north on later runs also has the potentially to be more intense. Increasing the strength of the warm conveyor belt strengthens the upstream diabatic ridge downstream of the upper low via potential vorticity redistribution, slowing it down. It's effectively a non-linear positive feedback loop & that's what you're seeing here.

Here's a few animations to reinforce my previous statement(s).

gfs_z500a_eus_fh60_trend (1).gif

gfs_temp_adv_fgen_850_eus_fh54_trend.gif

Didn’t SC get flooded like a few years ago?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beginning of October 2015. Yes. Not expecting those types of rainfall but eerily similar setup (minus Hurricane Joaquin so no direct tropical infusion of deep tropical moisture)

Well another factor, with fairly strong gradient winds and already wet soils, we will most likely have some tree/power issues scattered in

Back