• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Severe Strong, slow moving SE storm 12/21-23

namconus_asnow_seus_27.png
lol

I was just going to say I’m waiting on some crazy AS* NAM runs. Lmao
Well the NAM really takes a ride if you look at the soundings. Starts as borderline snow, shifts out to rain with a strong 850 warm nose, the warm nose cools but is still sharp and surface to 925 is just at freezing so close to sleet, then it goes back to rain.

Does heavy convection from this UUL have a dynamic cooling and just enough for snow?

Those snow maps are wierd, most wintry precip is supported in WNC, NAM does show some ZR in western NC and some snow in the mountains
417F9CE4-62DA-42BC-ABB4-416DF36C5BA3.jpeg1AD8002E-987E-4B6F-8AAC-F0A09950A9F0.png16A2E56F-A312-425C-8BAA-C1976350F3F9.pngCE82602C-DFBC-4729-97F0-C291C55E196F.png

I'm not sure how March 2010 went with that bowling ball, but looking back at the overall setup, it almost looks very similar except for the big high pressure location difference. Idk how the energy was set up or how we got cold air that time. Anyone have information that can shoot this idea down or relate it?

Very close for north GA at the start, looks like wet snow to me mixed with rain instead of all rain like the NAM shows D5F4430E-D21B-46E2-8B46-1C6E533318C6.png

I'm not sure how March 2010 went with that bowling ball, but looking back at the overall setup, it almost looks very similar except for the big high pressure location difference. Idk how the energy was set up or how we got cold air that time. Anyone have information that can shoot this idea down or relate it?

72fde5d925d6d4412e06348e4081b480.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well the NAM really takes a ride if you look at the soundings. Starts as borderline snow, shifts out to rain with a strong 850 warm nose, the warm nose cools but is still sharp and surface to 925 is just at freezing so close to sleet, then it goes back to rain.
Here’s the thing, this will definitely have dynamics. NAM furthest north with energy but I could see pockets of “nearing” heavy wet snow. NAM will prob do a good job with sniffing out those pockets.

It's hard to determine the true Ptype so I'd go with rate driven sloppy rain for here with that Kuchera of 3.

nam_2019121900_069_34.32--84.21.png

If precip arrives earlier, some areas may see a burst of wet snow mixed with rain, as soon as precip begins it’s not gonna be light with intense lift/ strong 850mb Frontogenesis, and you can see that quick dynamical cooling in north GA, but also that WAA around which is one ingredient for precip, it’s close, if initial precip can be heavy and can drag down some colder air with heavy rates, it’s not out of the realm of possibility, there may be some quick pockets of heavy wet snow 0816C1CD-D295-461F-8724-D4442CB15C42.jpeg

March 2010 or March 2009?

Here’s the thing, this will definitely have dynamics. NAM furthest north with energy but I could see pockets of “nearing” heavy wet snow. NAM will prob do a good job with sniffing out those pockets.
I agree, doesn't these upper level lows hard to predict when regarding to temps? It wouldn't take 32 or below to get snow with a dynamic storm like this one. Nam had temps in Al/Ga in the mid to upper 30s with heavy convection band that showed snow.

I was prepared to be disappointed with a map error, but dang the NAM is seriously close to a crushing hit across East AL. Crazy and very unlikely, but would be awesome if the less than 1% possibility of it happens.

After last year it would be only fitting for us to get a few flakes to fly this time.

Back