• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Nov 12-13 Cold & Light Mix

At the moment I'm not extremely optimistic about snow, in NC.
I do want to let you know that the Nam has spoken for folks in the Triad. While to me, I would not be surprised if Sleet came out of this sounding with some good lift and include some heavier precip and very cold 925's to freeze the layer. On the contrary, the Nam is spotting a bit of a warm nose, which we've learned to lean towards Its thermal solutions.
Comparison, NAM, a classic warm nose, warmer 850's, cold 925's
View attachment 25818
GFS (much cooler 850's)View attachment 25819

Yeah the NAM sounding verbatim would suggest a rain/sleet mix in the Triad.

My current thoughts on this event in NC:
Rain will most likely changeover to snow in the northern piedmont, north of US HWY 64 (if anywhere). Given that rates will be moderate-heavy if any snow/sleet occurs, a slushy coating on grassy and elevated surfaces is legitimately possible in areas like the Triad and Roxboro. We also can't entirely rule out some stray wet flakes or sleet pellets making it into areas like Raleigh or Charlotte, but no accumulation is expected.

Regardless, it's nice to have the potential for a little appetizer event in November. Even seeing snow or sleet in the air around lunchtime tomorrow in Charlotte would be a considered a win here w/ this one.

November 12 2019 NC Snowmap forecast.png

My current thoughts on this event in NC:
Rain will most likely changeover to snow in the northern piedmont, north of US HWY 64 (if anywhere). Given that rates will be moderate-heavy if any snow/sleet occurs, a slushy coating on grassy and elevated surfaces is legitimately possible in areas like the Triad and Roxboro. We also can't entirely rule out some stray wet flakes or sleet pellets making it into areas like Raleigh or Charlotte, but no accumulation is expected.

Regardless, it's nice to have the potential for a little appetizer event in November. Even seeing snow or sleet in the air around lunchtime tomorrow in Charlotte would be a considered a win here w/ this one.

View attachment 25820
Agree with your map. With as many near sleet soundings you can find on the models during the last 1-2 hours of precip it seems pretty likely there will be a good amount of reports of a change over.
With as much fgen as we have I do wonder if we start to see banded precip occurring where some snow in the heavy bands near the back edge can survive a thin warm nose or if melting can cool the column to snow.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Some ZR not too far away from you @Brent
KDFW_mosaic-819984.gif

Agree with your map. With as many near sleet soundings you can find on the models during the last 1-2 hours of precip it seems pretty likely there will be a good amount of reports of a change over.
With as much fgen as we have I do wonder if we start to see banded precip occurring where some snow in the heavy bands near the back edge can survive a thin warm nose or if melting can cool the column to snow.

Yeah that’s exactly what I’m thinking, I believe we should at the very least see some reports of sleet/rain in the northern piedmont if the soundings bust warm

guess I’ll be up around 6am checking for a few flying flakes haha.

for my area I’m concerned my temp won’t drop as fast as modeled. Already one NW flow event we were forecast to go down to 31 but woke up with a low of 33.

this is completely different though with a front and steady precip. Just a wait and see kind of event.

10DE6F43-537B-495C-949D-9204AA5E27E8.png

Yeah that’s exactly what I’m thinking, I believe we should at the very least see some reports of sleet/rain in the northern piedmont if the soundings bust warm
Made the mistake of looking at the arws can't unsee the changeover.

I think a sleeper area will be the norfolk, va beach, Elizabeth city, Edenton area where we could see some bay/ocean effect snow

I think a sleeper area will be the norfolk, va beach, Elizabeth city, Edenton area where we could see some bay/ocean effect snow

Yeap that water is still plenty warm enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All in....

Rah NWS - Areas from Roxboro to Roanoke Rapids seem most likely to see this brief mix, which is consistent with a couple HREF members.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

All in....

Rah NWS - Areas from Roxboro to Roanoke Rapids seem most likely to see this brief mix, which is consistent with a couple HREF members.

You might be one of the privileged few that has a second chance to see snow after the frontal passage in the form of a lake effect band off Kerr Lake. Kinda jealous already

You might be one of the privileged few that has a second chance to see snow after the frontal passage in the form of a lake effect band off Kerr Lake. Kinda jealous already
I think I'm too far east, however might happen at the office of course by then I'll be headed out Lol... look if I see a flake or ip on Nov. 12th I'll call it a win. Otherwise the brutal cold coming in tomorrow night will be fun to track, wind chills Wednesday AM in teens...bring it!

Back