• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Winter Weather Support Group

Why's that? Maybe you're referring to where I said they had 2 inches in Jan. Should have said Jan 2022. Will go back and edit.
January and February 2014 produced more than two inches, respectively. November 2014, depending on where you resided in Columbia, produced two inches or more. March 2017 produced nearly two inches. Those are snowstorms within a 10-year window.

January and February 2014 produced more than two inches, respectively. November 2014, depending on where you resided in Columbia, produced two inches or more. March 2017 produced nearly two inches. Those are snowstorms within a 10-year window.
Can't speak for Rainless, but CAE is the official reporting station NOAA uses for the midlands and they went from Feb 2014 to Jan 2022 without measurable snowfall. I am pretty sure they did not receive anything measurable from the Nov 2014 storm (just a trace). Certainly other parts of the midlands did and may have fared a bit better during that stretch. If you are in Elgin you may have received something from other systems. That Nov 2014 storm had a very hit or miss path, and that was true in the upstate as well. There were places 15 miles from me that had 2-3 inches and places just a few miles that got up to an inch or more, while I only had rain. GSP only had a trace. Here is the map from NWS, not sure how accurate but it looks like it must have missed CAE by a mile or two.

1705980341105.png

While you're not wrong those were very localized events. I just checked and CAE recorded a T on Nov 1st 2014 and a T on March 12th 2017. They recorded 2.0 on Jan 21st 2022. So if CAE hasn't received any snowfall by the time the 10th anniversary of the Feb 2014 snwofall passes next month that will be only 2 inches 10 years. That's mind blowing to me. Columbia has never been a snowy place by any means. They average what 1.9 inches per year? So you would think they would have had somewhere close to 20 inches in that same span. @Mitch West or anyone from CAE has more right to complain than anyone on here.

While you're not wrong those were very localized events. I just checked and CAE recorded a T on Nov 1st 2014 and a T on March 12th 2017. They recorded 2.0 on Jan 21st 2022. So if CAE hasn't received any snowfall by the time the 10th anniversary of the Feb 2014 snwofall passes next month that will be only 2 inches 10 years. That's mind blowing to me. Columbia has never been a snowy place by any means. They average what 1.9 inches per year? So you would think they would have had somewhere close to 20 inches in that same span. @Mitch West or anyone from CAE has more right to complain than anyone on here.
Just curious, what site did you use to check; finding detailed snow records for CAE is difficult; I can't find a layout like NWS has for GSP.

Just curious, what site did you use to check; finding detailed snow records for CAE is difficult; I can't find a layout like NWS has for GSP.
Yep it's impossible to find a layout. You just have to use their site and search each month and year separately. I lived there from 2013 to 2018 and did just that. I have it all recorded back to like 1960 somewhere. I'll have look for it. Here is their site.

Yep it's impossible to find a layout. You just have to use their site and search each month and year separately. I lived there from 2013 to 2018 and did just that. I have it all recorded back to like 1960 somewhere. I'll have look for it. Here is their site.
I'm a better recorder than some of those sites.

If you just take the low end of what models are showing for rain in the last week of January. The entire area of North GA and Upstate SC will finish the month with over 10 inches of liquid. Sigh

It does seem like we will have a favorable period in mid-February, but the fact that we're having to look at a possible favorable period for Mid-February on January 23rd... yuck.
I still think we have a small window in the 1/30-2/2 timeframe. After that the good thing about those heights over the the lakes is that they appear to be feeding into a nice -NAO.

It does seem like we will have a favorable period in mid-February, but the fact that we're having to look at a possible favorable period for Mid-February on January 23rd... yuck.
It is about time to face the fact that most of us will be shut out again. It is going to be hard to get cold air back down here with all of the US snowpack gone. I'm hoping the warm weather we get later this week takes us right on in to spring.

Back