• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Nippy November

The GFS is pretty close to a nice lil event for northern parts of MS/AL/GA the low is almost perfect spot before turning slightly NE thru Southern GA... if that just planned out more and slowed down a lil bit would give more credence to winter precip as the H and cold area would have more lined up timing... but such is life with a overrunning event like nailing water to a board

No pattern is permanent or even close. Nothing really gets "locked in" as the atmosphere is very fluid and is a fluid. Any extreme pattern will almost always revert closer to the mean at some point afterward before possibly reloading. In the meantime, what's not to like about our nearterm wx here in Nov with the prospects of one of the coldest first 3 weeks of Nov on record and even a decent shot at wintry precip in TN/NC. My advice is to enjoy it and not worry about winter. Your worrying isn't going to change what happens in winter, regardless. Enjoy what you already are getting as it is a rarity. This message is really for all of the worriers about winter.

Great point ... not to beat a dead horse, but think about the extreme heat in October and how rare that stretch was and now looking at what may be coming next week. Wow, in just what ... 5 weeks? Talk about the rubber band breaking. We (me included) just need to enjoy the extreme of what are seeing. Yes, I want snow as well ... but this is amazing cold for this time of year!

CMC little bit more juicy then 12z run got more interaction

Attachments

• gem_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_21.png
    gem_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_21.png
    194.6 KB · Views: 48
Great point ... not to beat a dead horse, but think about the extreme heat in October and how rare that stretch was and now looking at what may be coming next week. Wow, in just what ... 5 weeks? Talk about the rubber band breaking. We (me included) just need to enjoy the extreme of what are seeing. Yes, I want snow as well ... but this is amazing cold for this time of year!
'folks, the bathtub has, sloshed...' JB

Gotta love junky anafrontal setups to get the show rolling for season. Surface temperatures are obviously warm so we'll need a nice thump for anything to stick on the ground. There's some negative omega in the DGZ so maybe the snow rate will get it done for a quick inch or two in this particular set-up?
I don't think there will be a widespread 1-2" for the area's that do receive any snowfall. It's possible that the boarders of eastern TN/western NC may receive 1-2" but that's stretching it imo. I'm still going with more sleet/ice than snowfall, however, this is going to depend on how quick the deeper cold air will progress south and east. West of the mountains have a higher chance at frozen precipitation due to the colder air progressing south and east on time while the moisture would be in place. The cold will be having a hard time making it over the mountains on time for a greater chance of frozen precip east of the mountains, but we'll see about that. Central NC and points northeast up towards VA have a good chance at getting a quick dumping of snow just before the moisture moves out.

If this wasn’t early November I’d be far more interested
853699bc3e6e0bd7fba4f6aa26a48262.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Actually it will be Mid November next week so thats a little better than Early November.

The Canadian is going to give that second system another go here at 00z although the cold air appears to be extremely marginal compared to 12z
99A5FDFE-36EB-42DE-968C-5D001471E1FA.png

I don't think there will be a widespread 1-2" for the area's that do receive any snowfall. It's possible that the boarders of eastern TN/western NC may receive 1-2" but that's stretching it imo. I'm still going with more sleet/ice than snowfall, however, this is going to depend on how quick the deeper cold air will progress south and east. West of the mountains have a higher chance at frozen precipitation due to the colder air progressing south and east on time while the moisture would be in place. The cold will be having a hard time making it over the mountains on time for a greater chance of frozen precip east of the mountains, but we'll see about that. Central NC and points northeast up towards VA have a good chance at getting a quick dumping of snow just before the moisture moves out.
Good point, micro climates are key in East Tn and Western NC. Places in the Chattanooga Metro have ALREADY seen snow showers. From the Halloween Cold front. Up above 1500 ft.

Last edited:
Welp, easy to see what we’re moving towards on the Canadian with system 2. Box cutter. Womp. Next
9DEF43A0-F188-4706-90C6-96EE8AE7CEA0.png

The Kuchera snowfall output is the most realistic output you're going to get. Eastern TN/Western NC highest mountain peaks, up to 5" including the mountains of southwest VA into WV. Steep lapse rates and convection/lift due to the mountains. The Kuchera is also showing that dumping of snow from Central NC to VA. Elsewhere that receives frozen precip in the southeast, little to no snow, more sleet/ice. snku_acc.us_ma.png

The Kuchera snowfall output is the most realistic output you're going to get. Eastern TN/Western NC highest mountain peaks, up to 5" including the mountains of southwest VA into WV. Steep lapse rates and convection/lift due to the mountains. The Kuchera is also showing that dumping of snow from Central NC to VA. Elsewhere that receives frozen precip in the southeast, little to no snow, more sleet/ice. View attachment 25557
That's a delicious 1.9 inches for CHA though, airport elevation 682 ft above sea level.. Oh well, only 20+ more runs of the models to go.

The Kuchera snowfall output is the most realistic output you're going to get. Eastern TN/Western NC highest mountain peaks, up to 5" including the mountains of southwest VA into WV. Steep lapse rates and convection/lift due to the mountains. The Kuchera is also showing that dumping of snow from Central NC to VA. Elsewhere that receives frozen precip in the southeast, little to no snow, more sleet/ice. View attachment 25557
Yes that's snow, but the freezing rain much further south

I've seen this type of setup storm few years ago, cant remember which one it was and it wasn't November but the models showed the snow up towards Birmingham to Huntsville, but with a strong low in the gulf with dinamtic cooling, places south of i20 got crushed. To me this one looks more like a sleet fest

I've seen this type of setup storm few years ago, cant remember which one it was and it wasn't November but the models showed the snow up towards Birmingham to Huntsville, but with a strong low in the gulf with dinamtic cooling, places south of i20 got crushed. To me this one looks more like a sleet fest
This setup is extremely close to the snow even in December 2017. Does that jog your memory?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back