• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Nippy November

Oh yeah I agree.... was just being ornery this morning Lol. In fact I was about to reply to @SoutheastRidge with just what you said, it's really not too crazy to think it could happen, like you said it's happened before. And honestly with the way winters are crapping out early around here maybe we need to hope for a Nov or Dec storm, get it while you can.
Yeh it would be wild if we got another winter storm in that Dec 6th-9th range for the 3rd year in a row...

Good call, GFS did indeed slow the front back down. Was hoping the trend would continue.

Thanks. But as metwannabe implied, yesterday's 12Z GFS didn't have much of a slow down. Furthermore, the subsequent 2 runs restarted the faster progression trend with today's 0 the fastest yet. Then the 6Z and now the 12Z backtracked to the point that today's 12Z is near yesterday's 12Z.

For the US as a whole: yesterday's 12Z EPS was colder than yesterday's 0Z. And now today's 0Z is even colder than yesterday's 12Z. Also, the GEFS run have generally been trending colder overall. Keeping this all in mind:

From Maxar this morning:

"Today’s 1-15 Day forecast gained +21.5 GWHDDs versus yesterday’s, a majority (+17.6) of which takes place on Days 10-15. These changes are generally in line with large gains within the models, with 0z Ensemble changes of +12.2 (ECMWF) and +14.2 (GFS) versus yesterday’s 0z runs for the current Days 10-14. Though model gains were in step with each other, there remains a large difference between the modeled intensity of cold in the 11-15 Day with the GFS (119.5) yielding 19 more GWHDDs than the Euro (100.5), and our forecast coming in between at 105.3. Our 1-15 Day forecast of 281.4 GWHDDs ranks 7th-coldest for the Oct 29-Nov 12 period since 1950, and would be normal for Nov 9-23. Our 11-15 Day forecast would be closer to normal for Nov 20-24, while the GFS Ensemble projection would be normal for Nov 28-Dec 2."

Gawx, did maxar do well with last winters forecast or did they bust hard like most?

Nam at 0Z , which is 7pm ( Kickoff 8pm). Hope I have that right. 2m temps,windchill, precip

1572366596321.png

1572366623731.png
1572366674931.png

Gawx, did maxar do well with last winters forecast or did they bust hard like most?

They busted pretty hard in much of the US including the SE, where they had near to very slightly warmer than normal (which is close to what they have again in the SE).

NAM has consistently been the fastest. The ICON is in agreement and has been for several runs now. GFS has slowed a touch if anything

@metwannabe if you wouldn't mind posting the ecmwf maps for Thu night when they become available

Lets see how it shakes out. Still time to get a hour or 2 speed up (60hrs out). Maybe Gawx or someone with hourly Euro graphics can look at 0z 11/1 at the NW corner of NC and chime in.

Chasing those first mountain flurries. Maybe a brief NW enhancement on the backside of this cold front can bring the first flurries of the year. Doubt I see any down here around 2000FT but maybe those higher peaks 3500+ will get a white dusting!

View attachment 25035
Well snowshoe already seen there first snow couple weeks ago

Lets see how it shakes out. Still time to get a hour or 2 speed up (60hrs out). Maybe Gawx or someone with hourly Euro graphics can look at 0z 11/1 at the NW corner of NC and chime in.

The trend through the 6Z Euro is a little faster end to the rain with it ending not too far after 0Z but with a good bit just before. I don't have hourlies.

through hr 330 GEFS looks much more interesting, already 6 members with snow in NC. compared to 2 at 06z
It's not over yet.
12z
1573538400-OcA7ybe2KaQ.png

06z
1573538400-50HDubTUDNM.png

Chance of an Inch
1573516800-WjJ55nmZtjE.png

Latest GFS wasn't very impressive cold wise in the East. 06z wasn't really that impressive either. Lowest temp @ my location is only 41 as of now. Wondering when we get our first legitimate freeze threat for the SE.

There was a winter, I think November 2001, there were several small snow / slop events here in Greenville, and was actually a big event forecasted, we were under a WSW for 4-8”, that busted, got about 1” in Greer. But it is possible to get snows in mid and late November down here, although rare, the models may not be out to lunch! Then the Dec 2002 event, was amazeballs, early December

Back