• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Nippy November

We don’t live in AK!! We can’t get wall to wall cold for four months straight!? There has to be a reloading period, recharge the cold with deep snowpacks in the Arctic, long nights and rapidly expanding sea ice
Hopefully. But I want to see features like the Aleutian Low, +PNA, and -AO/-NAO have some staying power, rather than be a 1 or two week anomaly. Right now, any reversions appear to be to a junky pattern. I'd rather have that become the opposite this year. So, I'm looking for some evidence of that, even this early in the season.

Gefs should be banned instead of birdman by how inconsistent it is, some are back to this look, in my opinion a thread should wait until it’s under hour 150View attachment 25527
Some good members in there. Definitely agree with the thread thing.

Hopefully. But I want to see features like the Aleutian Low, +PNA, and -AO/-NAO have some staying power, rather than be a 1 or two week anomaly. Right now, any reversions appear to be to a junky pattern. I'd rather have that become the opposite this year. So, I'm looking for some evidence of that, even this early in the season.

No pattern is permanent or even close. Nothing really gets "locked in" as the atmosphere is very fluid and is a fluid. Any extreme pattern will almost always revert closer to the mean at some point afterward before possibly reloading. In the meantime, what's not to like about our nearterm wx here in Nov with the prospects of one of the coldest first 3 weeks of Nov on record and even a decent shot at wintry precip in TN/NC. My advice is to enjoy it and not worry about winter. Your worrying isn't going to change what happens in winter, regardless. Enjoy what you already are getting as it is a rarity. This message is really for all of the worriers about winter.

Retrogression is probably forthcoming late in the month or early Dec
Eric, in all seriousness, how long do you think it will last? I know you mentioned about the mjo going into 8,1 and 2 again eventually. When does that connect with the phases you typically see for winter for cold and stormy?

The Arctic is still aiming to possibly dip to colder than normal for the first time in the last half of the year since 2014. As it is, it has hit normal for the first time in Oct-Dec since 2015.
But is it about to stop trending colder? I suspect that because model progs have it warming soon and have the AO diving further negative. So, even if it dips to colder than normal, it likely would be shortlived at least for the immediate future.ArcticTempAnom.png

Warm to normal! The WAR or SER, will retrograde to the SE, trough sets up in plains or west coast
Tarheel, i think most want to know how long it could last once it fully takes effect. I hope it dont last too long, but that's me. I believe it should be much colder than last winter, but that's imo obviously lol.

Not sure why everyone gets so up in arms about some warm periods here during winter. Not like we can't go from 70s one week to 30s the next. Happens all the time here in winter. And it's only Nov 6 anyway.

Retrogression is probably forthcoming late in the month or early Dec

I assume by retrogression you mean aleutian/goa ridge return?

I am hoping we are either following a 2002 or 2014 pattern as both led to a BN winter and some similarities with the Nov pattern we are seeing. The Decembers sure were different though but happily take either winter.

2002Pattern.gif2014pattern.gif

Here's snow accums
GEFSMA_prec_snens_384.png

5 out of 20 look decent for me. I mean, a 25% shot at a winter storm in November is a lot better odds than usual.

I guess shorter wavelengths give us our best opportunity for winter weather these days. I would like to turn the table this time, because its rare to get significant winter weather in November. Its happened but not often in the south.

Not sure why everyone gets so up in arms about some warm periods here during winter. Not like we can't go from 70s one week to 30s the next. Happens all the time here in winter. And it's only Nov 6 anyway.
Good thing nobody is up in arms so far this year. Need to watch how the pattern develops and see if it gives any clues as to whether or not favorable or unfavorable features might have some persistence this winter. It seems like a reasonable thing to do.

The Nov cold being modeled could make this one of the coldest Novembers. Based on the EPS we are going to get to mid Nov with some -10F departures really far south. Ensembles show pattern relaxing some but still BN and of course we are talking day 10+ ensembles.

MonthTDeptUS-1.png
ecmwf-ensemble-avg-conus-t2m_f_anom_10day-3905600.png

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-conus-t2m_f_anom_5day-4337600.png

crazy that the GEFS mean looks almost identical to yesterday's 12z run. *Note that these were the best runs we have gotten so far*
Yesterday
GEFSMA_prec_meansnacc_306.png

Today
GEFSMA_prec_meansnacc_282.png

I assume by retrogression you mean aleutian/goa ridge return?

I am hoping we are either following a 2002 or 2014 pattern as both led to a BN winter and some similarities with the Nov pattern we are seeing. The Decembers sure were different though but happily take either winter.

View attachment 25529View attachment 25530
By retrogression I mean a return of the SE US ridge

crazy that the GEFS mean looks almost identical to yesterday's 12z run. *Note that these were the best runs we have gotten so far*
Yesterday
GEFSMA_prec_meansnacc_306.png

Today
GEFSMA_prec_meansnacc_282.png

Yeah, that is almost a carbon copy of yesterday's run. Nice mean for a November storm, too.

Tarheel, i think most want to know how long it could last once it fully takes effect. I hope it dont last too long, but that's me. I believe it should be much colder than last winter, but that's imo obviously lol.
I mean this in all seriousness, for whatever reason, it’s very easy for us to get and stay above normal, for many months in a row in winter and summer as well , but 2-3 day cold snaps are about all we expect anymore, and it’s not just cause we live in the South

Back