• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Nippy November

Just replayed the GFS looking purely at temp anomalies and from Friday afternoon this week through Friday afternoon next week it's a solid stretch of it mostly being average to below average, with several days of it being solidly below normal in most of the southeast. So, 7 days of it mostly being below normal.

I think it's most likely going to be a frontal system cause the low rides along the boundary. The 12z CMC has the idea. So, I'm thinking it's going to be overrunning, swath of snow, more sleet/ice. Edit: Depending on how fast the deeper cold air moves in. If the deeper colder air moves in while there is moisture, of course there would be more snow.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Yeah, gefs supports what you just mentioned by a lot, overrunning 06F4D628-0584-419C-BACD-257D407E09D0.jpeg

Ukie looks better at H5
00z
500mb_geopotential_height_anomaly_mslp_CONUS_hr144.png

12z
500mb_geopotential_height_anomaly_mslp_CONUS_hr144.png

My thoughts exactly. I mean if that cold air hasn’t spilled in prior then we know how this story ends for our backyard
I'm thinking the cold will continue to push southeast as the moisture rides along the boundary. If the cold is in place prior, there most likely won't be any moisture/storm system due to the very dry air and suppression.

Than the gefs once it’s into NC,Some show heavy snow, but it’s hard for cold air to make it past those mountains, snow making it over the mountains like that is suspectView attachment 25445
Oh the classic Ana front ... I think what some ensemble members may be picking up is a slowing down of that front after it passes the southeast and it kind of becomes stationary while waves begin wrapping or riding up that front ... gives the cold air enough time to make it here while the precip then overlaps ... but these types of storms are hit or miss... cold air comes in too fast then that front moves farther away and are chances for snow will drop .. slows down a bit and stalls means a very fun set up but rare

Oh the classic Ana front ... I think what some ensemble members may be picking up is a slowing down of that front after it passes the southeast and it kind of becomes stationary while waves begin wrapping or riding up that front ... gives the cold air enough time to make it here while the precip then overlaps ... but these types of storms are hit or miss... cold air comes in too fast then that front moves farther away and are chances for snow will drop .. slows down a bit and stalls means a very fun set up but rare
Ike the great poster JH said awhile ago: if the cold ain’t already over the mountains, it’s rain here! 100% of the time! ?

Than the gefs once it’s into NC,Some show heavy snow, but it’s hard for cold air to make it past those mountains, snow making it over the mountains like that is suspectView attachment 25445
The deep cold may make it's way east of the mountains in time for some snow. P-type is all going to depend on (of course) timing of deeper cold air and temp profiles.

Last edited:
Yeah that’s what some of them do, a few of them even develop another coastal that provides snow that way, and it almost appears on the few ensembles member that the trof on some of them try to go negative tilt, and slows down the front, allowing colder air to spill in while precipitation is still happening, how interesting

So GFS just squashed it at 12z? If I am looking correctly, precip dies over TX?
Yea, it’s suppression so far has been terrible, for example the one that’s coming up Friday, it was showing that being suppressed by itself and providing NC with a winter storm, lol

It wouldn’t suprise me if the GFS shows a crazy winter storm along the I-85 corridor as it will prolly correct northwest over time, so if it shows that don’t get excited, haha

Fv3 with a suppressed storm in still long-ish range. Decent ensemble support. Other models also all over the potential.

sounds like a typical threat for us! Hopefully we get the NW trend but not too much! Euro will be interesting to watch here in a few minutes

Back