• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Nippy November

Yeah our precip will come from that Shortwave. Need it to continue to speed up and get pulled into the northern stream. Need to see a lot of speeding up though. Idk if we will see that much.

GEFS has made very good progress, look how much it’s sped up, also northern stream slowing down and looks a little bit better positioned 89E27C6E-C88C-46F5-904A-1A3A05A82A02.gif

EPS has fewer snow solutions but looks better at H5.
00z
1573624800-ogQ9tpUkpTw.png

12z
1573624800-zXgNamhHgyM.png

There's still some takers on the 12z EPS. Arkansas & Tennessee have more model support & are more climatologically favored to pick up snow/ice at this of the year.
View attachment 25458
The moment you realize you have the same statistical probability to receive an inch of snow as Columbia SC..

To reiterate, this is actually the classic pattern you often see immediately preceding overrunning &/or anafrontal-type winter storms in the southern US w/ a big cold trough over the Lakes and southern stream shortwave over the southwestern US. If only it wasn't November and over a week away.

Details will make all the difference between cold & dry, a nice light-moderate impact early season winter storm or cold rain w/ a storm cutting up to the Lakes & OH valley. All 3 of these general scenarios are legitimately on the table but one of them is very likely to transpire.

gfs-ens_z500a_us_33.png

ecmwf-ens_z500a_us_9.png

^ not to mention on the nam quiet snow showery if anyone wants to drive up the NC mountains Friday morning. Moisture fades but should be enough esp western slopes

I hope this doesn't violate posting rules ... but with all the discussion about a cold November leading to a hot December, or not ... it's all models and history, which does not necessarily repeat itself (do not repeat themselves to be grammatical) ... but thinking about what's not supposed to happen, after 9 years of marriage and no kids and being told it was "impossible", suddenly 2 of the best boys you can imagine came down the shoot ... so there's always a chance for a blessing, and when they happen, they can come in twos ...
decipher this and you're not at happy hour ...

Good evening everybody, I hope all is well.
With our small chance of snow next week, I went ahead and analyzed all the data and created a graphic (see below)
*Disclaimer This data is based on model analytics and is no way includes model biases or any human forecasting*

Data: 12z EPS and GFS ensemble members, reflected from Weatherbell Meteograms
Region: KGSO (Greensboro) Most Triad regions apply, even triangle regions wouldn't be too far off

Section 1. Mean
What I did with this set was as I created my excel spreadsheet, I set up the members and found their averages separately. The second thing I did was, weigh the members seperately. The GEFS was weighed 40% of the total; 1.1(mean) was multiplied by .40 and I got .44 The EPS was weighed 60%, I multiplied .29(mean) times .60 and got 0.171. I then added the total and got my average in which see below which is 61". Nothing Incredible

Section 2. % of members show snow
A bit more self-explanatory, I turned the members that showed snow into a percentage.

Section 3. Consistency.
What is did here was to use the mathematical formula, Mean Absolute Deviation, or for short MAD. Essentially It's the average distance the ensemble members are away from the mean. The process would be finding the original average, subtract the average from each member and find the average of that product. It is helpful because it lets you know whether a model is much more or less likely to verify. So essentially the smaller the number, the more likely that model set will verify and vise virsa, you could have a mean with 100 inches of snow, but will a low number, that would most likely verify, a high number and that means that 100 mean probably has a couple 50" members and a few 200" members.

Summary: This snow chance at the moment is very low right now, however, bears watching. As we head into the week, I hope to keep track of all these variables.
ncwx chances.PNG

Last edited:
Good evening everybody, I hope all is well.
With our small chance of snow next week, I went ahead and analyzed all the data and created a graphic (see below)
*Disclaimer This data is based on model analytics and is no way includes model biases or any human forecasting*

Data: 12z EPS and GFS ensemble members, reflected from Weatherbell Meteograms
Region: KGSO (Greensboro) Most Triad regions apply, even triangle regions wouldn't be too far off

Section 1. Mean
What I did with this set was as I created my excel spreadsheet, I set up the members and found their averages separately. The second thing I did was, weigh the members seperately. The GEFS was weighed 40% of the total; 1.1(mean) was multiplied by .40 and I got .44 The EPS was weighed 60%, I multiplied .29(mean) times .60 and got 0.171. I then added the total and got my average in which see below which is 61". Nothing Incredible

Section 2. % of members show snow
A bit more self-explanatory, I turned the members that showed snow into a percentage.

Section 3. Consistency.
What is did here was to use the mathematical formula, Mean Absolute Deviation, or for short MAD. Essentially It's the average distance the ensemble members are away from the mean. The process would be finding the original average, subtract the average from each member and find the average of that product. It is helpful because it lets you know whether a model is much more or less likely to verify. So essentially the smaller the number, the more likely that model set will verify and vise virsa, you could have a mean with 100 inches of snow, but will a low number, that would most likely verify, a high number and that means that 100 mean probably has a couple 50" members and a few 200" members.

Summary: This snow chance at the moment is very low right now, however, bears watching. As we head into the week, I hope to keep track of all these variables.
View attachment 25474

Nice break down ollie. Nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back