• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Nippy November

We're following the tendency of the last several winters to script thus far w/ a warm early-mid fall then the bottom falls out in November, if we somehow manage to crank out a cold December, consider me intrigued.

Does the delay in the Arctic ocean refreeze and early melt out have anything to do with it? By weakening the PV maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Webberweather53 @GaWx or anybody else that has access and knowledge to quickly pull records, how often does a cold November lead to a torch of a winter? I know this decade that's been the case. I'm just wondering going way back if a cold November is a curse for winter? I would think overall it wouldn't matter much and we've just had bad luck this decade. I hope as stated above we don't burn up all the fuel early.

Never this is only a preamble before the 5k starts

More meant the kind of 92 octane that burns and runs a deep breathing V8 on a banked race track ... the tank can only hold so much fuel, and once it's spent ...

More meant the kind of 92 octane that burns and runs a deep breathing V8 on a banked race track ... the tank can only hold so much fuel, and once it's spent ...

Let’s hope not

@Webberweather53 @GaWx or anybody else that has access and knowledge to quickly pull records, how often does a cold November lead to a torch of a winter? I know this decade that's been the case. I'm just wondering going way back if a cold November is a curse for winter? I would think overall it wouldn't matter much and we've just had bad luck this decade. I hope as stated above we don't burn up all the fuel early.

The 1895-2019 Nov to DJF temp anomaly correlation for the SE US climate region is +0.27, not statistically significant or negative, meaning that cold Novembers tend to be associated w/ cold DJFs but this result is not significant whatsoever. Limiting the period to only modern years (like post 1979 for ex), or to ENSO phase, the correlation is still positive but even smaller meaning the idea that cold Novembers = warm DJF is almost certainly not true.

Does the delay in the Arctic ocean refreeze and early melt out have anything to do with it? By weakening the PV maybe?

Perhaps, but it's more likely that changes in the atmospheric circulation patterns that are simultaneously also forcing changes in sea ice are responsible.

You have to start to wonder if this ridging in the Pacific is an intraseasonal feature or will will see it in some form through a good part of winter? Its been in play now in the means for at least the last 30 days doesn't mean things can't quickly reverse as we move further into winter but it's interesting.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

You have to start to wonder if this ridging in the Pacific is an intraseasonal feature or will will see it in some form through a good part of winter? Its been in play now in the means for at least the last 30 days doesn't mean things can't quickly reverse as we move further into winter but it's interesting.

It’s been a prominent feature in virtually every winter since 2012-13 and I don’t see that changing this year

It’s been a prominent feature in virtually every winter since 2012-13 and I don’t see that changing this year
Me either which begs the question, does it set up in a favorable position for us this year or do we eventually start dropping crap into the NW and down the west coast?

Through hr 210 GEFS looks much better. The trough at H5 digs much more compared to 12z.
12z
1573560000-W2mImkdAl2w.png

18z
1573581600-uGbd5Ok6JPg.png

With that being said, there was also a large increase in snowy solutions across NC, from roughly 2 to 7 (the spotty patches at 12z are snow from the system at 100hrs)
12z
1573646400-kNnu1uCCAIY.png

18z
1573646400-GbtLdmwov4s.png

Through hr 210 GEFS looks much better. The trough at H5 digs much more compared to 12z.
12z
1573560000-W2mImkdAl2w.png

18z
1573581600-uGbd5Ok6JPg.png

With that being said, there was also a large increase in snowy solutions across NC, from roughly 2 to 7 (the spotty patches at 12z are snow from the system at 100hrs)
12z
1573646400-kNnu1uCCAIY.png

18z
1573646400-GbtLdmwov4s.png
p13 at 18Z and Larry needs to rent a boat ...

Me either which begs the question, does it set up in a favorable position for us this year or do we eventually start dropping crap into the NW and down the west coast?

That's definitely a good question. Constructing a SST-based analog...

107.210.78.217.307.16.46.12.png

sst.anom.month.gif

prism_conus_tavg_anom_OCT2019 (2).png

cd107.210.78.217.307.16.53.14.prcp.png

cd107.210.78.217.307.16.54.1.prcp.png

Screen Shot 2019-11-04 at 7.00.48 PM.png

...I think we're definitely screwed in December. Amazingly, the Dec blowtorch signal actually got stronger when you removed the strong El Ninos from the composite.

Rip.

cd107.210.78.217.307.16.54.49.prcp.png

Fwiw, January in this analog composite was colder than normal, no signal in February, & March was really cold.

View attachment 25388

View attachment 25389

View attachment 25390

View attachment 25391

View attachment 25392

View attachment 25393

...I think we're definitely screwed in December. Amazingly, the Dec blowtorch signal actually got stronger when you removed the strong El Ninos from the composite.

Rip.

View attachment 25394

Fwiw, January in this analog composite was colder than normal, no signal in February, & March was really cold.

I wouldn't be mad if that December analog was right. A half a degree above average is much better than some years.

View attachment 25388

View attachment 25389

View attachment 25390

View attachment 25391

View attachment 25392

View attachment 25393

Rip.

View attachment 25394

That's not horrible at least. Are there any odds that we could actually go against analogs and be cooler?

Back