• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Major Hurricane Irma (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
As much as my potential weenie is coming out about the possibility of some interesting weather in north Georgia let's keep two things in mind:

1. The track of this storm has and will contuine to change.

2. Arguing about the intensity of inland effects a week away from landfall is counterproductive.

Let's follow the models, track the storm, and hope it doesn't cause destruction and human suffering in the process.

Yes, and it would be awful nice if the gods smiled upon us and it turned North out to sea!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Someone on another forum says the GFS brings Jose in as a major hurricane the following weekend hitting the NYC area.

Lol, no need for a generator in Atlanta. Maybe some rain and a few wind gusts. The main action would be well east of Atlanta along with the threat for tornadoes. Keep in mind Atlanta would most likely be on the drier, less dangerous side.

I wasn't being serious about the generator comment, however, just because we would be on the west side of Irma from that 18z GFS run doesn't mean there's not going to be at the very least some tropical storm force wind gusts or a tornado threat from time to time here from the rainbands.

I wasn't being serious about the generator comment, however, just because we would be on the west side of Irma from that 18z GFS run doesn't mean there's not going to be at the very least some tropical storm force wind gusts or a tornado threat from time to time here from the rainbands.
Well I guess anything is possible. Probably the only way you would need a generator is if somehow Irma snuck into the eastern GOM and struck landfall in the FL panhandle as a Cat 4 or 5 and then moved pretty quickly northward. I'm sure that would bring some 100 mph+ gusts to Atlanta. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but Atlanta is almost always more impacted by a tropical storm if it comes from the Gulf as opposed to the Atlantic.

Well I guess anything is possible. Probably the only way you would need a generator is if somehow Irma snuck into the eastern GOM and struck landfall in the FL panhandle as a Cat 4 or 5 and then moved pretty quickly northward. I'm sure that would bring some 100 mph+ gusts to Atlanta. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but Atlanta is almost always more impacted by a tropical storm if it comes from the Gulf as opposed to the Atlantic.
Stop. Last warning.

When is the last time two Cat 4 or higher storms hit the US in the same year ?

I think it was way back in 1915. Before that, it looks like you'd have to go back to sometime before 1851. So, it is very difficult to occur thankfully! Hopefully our luck will hold out though that may require non-US land interaction weakening it (Hisp/Cuba), a miss, or a landfall further north than expected.

Oh, Lord, please provide the virtue of patience ... :p

Seriously , Folks ...
Irma is days away.
We have seen models in the past 48 hours that go from Mercury to Pluto.
Look at this ... and there is only 1 rational conclusion ... there is no current conclusion ...

two_atl_2d0.png

I've got my conclusions, but those and $2.50 might buy a cup of coffee ...

Seriously , Folks ...
Irma is days away.
Look at this ... and there is only 1 rational conclusion ... there is no current conclusion ...

two_atl_2d0.png

Yep, this is still far from a certain US hit. Lots can still happen to prevent that. Example: what it will do when near Cuba.

Yep, this is still far from a certain US hit. Lots can still happen to prevent that. Example: what it will do when near Cuba.
Maybe our best hope is for it to get shredded by Cuba, although obviously that would not be good for Cuba. Actually our best hope is that it is still able to go out to sea. Not sure how likely that scenario is though.

Seriously , Folks ...
Irma is days away.

True of course. I'm very curious to see what the 00z model guidance is gonna look like.

SoutheastRidge,
If Irma comes up from FL, Atlanta would be experiencing TS force winds. Hurricane force winds will be down at the GA coast. Then again, we'll have to see what Irma will do. Irma could have a wide wind field as it's coming inland. That's not something set in stone of Irma having it's wide field. Irma could lose it's wide field. Again we'll have to keep an eye out on Irma's progress in the coming days.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk
Yes ... now on to a M*A*S*H rerun?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back