• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Januworry

That would be fantastic if it happens. Based on this possibility, do you think much of the SE would get cold enough to have a decent shot at BN for January as a whole? Or is that unrealistic and near normal the best to realistically hope for? I don’t mean just the major CAD regions of the Carolinas that would benefit from wedging more than others areas of the SE.

I’d personally take near normal and be quite content.
I’m honestly not as concerned about this as I am the pattern getting favorable enough for a significant snow/ice storm in the southern us. It’s probably best to go with seasonably warm temps and assume January is the coldest of met winter. I suspect February tries to torch us again

Euro is good hot to cold to hot to major cold coming out of Montana who knows. Like wet during the hot and dry during the cold. Gonna need some sustained cold maybe it comes last few days of Jan

Weenie time, boys and girls:

18Z CFS has Mack to Chicago 7-8 BN in January! And Montana guy, you may need to move ASAP if this is anywhere close to realistic with 15 BN?! It probably is grossly overdone but wow if not!

There’s a sharp gradient with NYC -4, DFW and RDU near normal, and ATL +2 even with the SE being quite cold most of 1/15-25.

it’s funny reading the same people saying the GFS isn’t realistic with its cold push. You get cross polar flow and any sim lance of a +PNA and that solution is HIGHLY likely in a La Niña. In fact that’s one of the biggest worries if you’re wanting snow in the south. We have to have a balance between getting enough cold air in first and to not crush any wave sliding underneath all that cold air. Those deep cold anomalies have shown to be a mirage in the long range but this is showing up under day 10 now.

Back