• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Januworry

I don’t like them at all. They eat into the snow totals and it feels like a waste when we have some rare cold air and moisture coming together in the southeast. I will take it though over rain as long as it’s not heavy ZR.
I understand about the cutting into snow totals part. I would much rather have sleet than freezing rain. Sleet has staying power on the roads but you don’t lose power like freezing rain can cause. I like the good wet snow and then get colder a few days where it stays around. A little sleet then a big wet snow on top makes good sledding for the kiddos. But a lot of mixing between all 3 will cut a snow total big time.

Overrunning events are actually synonymous with mixed precipitation, esp ice. The only time you don’t worry as much about mixed precip/ice is during coastal cyclones. Those are of course rare outside the Carolinas
Most will probably point to Jan 1988 as a mostly snow event, but that is rare.

Most will probably point to Jan 1988 as a mostly snow event, but that is rare.

In Atlanta, Jan 1988 was a big sleetstorm with over 4” at KATL making it in the top 2 heaviest sleets on record there. It stuck around in shady areas quite awhile.

Regarding cutting into snow totals, that’s not a big deal to me as the water content is still there but it is just not fluffed up with as much air as is the case for snow. So, 10” of snow is instead 4” of sleet. From my own Atlanta experiences (1988 and 1979), the 4” of sleet actually tends to stick around longer than 10” of snow in general in case that happens to be important to someone.

In Atlanta, Jan 1988 was a big sleetstorm with over 4” at KATL making it in the top 2 heaviest sleets on record there. It stuck around in shady areas quite awhile.

Regarding cutting into snow totals, that’s not a big deal to me as the water content is still there but it is just not fluffed up with as much air as is the case for snow. So, 10” of snow is instead 4” of sleet. From my own Atlanta experiences (1988 and 1979), the 4” of sleet actually tends to stick around longer than 10” of snow in general in case that happens to be important to someone.
If I remember right Jan 88 stated as sleet in Charlotte then quickly changed to snow. Woke up next morning to snow with temps in the upper teens. Also seem to remember that snow sticking around for a while. Schools resumed but we had to walk to the main roads because neighborhood streets were still snow covered after several days.

Back