• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Winter outlook 2022/2023

Ice coverage in the arctic is looking good going into the winter

View attachment 120627
Still historically low. There is a study/theory that says more open (less ice) Arctic water promotes more blocking. But if that was true where was all our blocking these past 20 years.

Still historically low. There is a study/theory that says more open (less ice) Arctic water promotes more blocking. But if that was true where was all our blocking these past 20 years.
This is where they come up with another 3 letter acronym to explain why their previous 3 letter acronym didn't pan out. IOD, PNA, PDO, MJO, SSW Etc etc.

Man I'm not sure I buy a full torch winter but it's not off the table unfortunately
You would have to bet for a warmer winter with the la nina still ongoing. I guess the one good aspect is we should see a better chance of very cold outbreaks (within the overall warm winter) that could also come with snow (..we can hope).

Man I'm not sure I buy a full torch winter but it's not off the table unfortunately
I see no reason for anything but a 3peat here. Overall above average with a 2-3 very below average outbreak somewhere in January or early early February.

It's not a terrible pattern for cold for my location, but I could go for a good El Nino SSJ fire hose right about now.

Ben Knoll from twitter mentioned the euro and ukmet guidance going negative nao for at least first half of winter this upcoming winter. It would be nice to see that. Like I always say if we can get one winter storm, im content until the following winter. I feel that early if we are to see that scenario

Ben Knoll from twitter mentioned the euro and ukmet guidance going negative nao for at least first half of winter this upcoming winter. It would be nice to see that. Like I always say if we can get one winter storm, im content until the following winter. I feel that early if we are to see that scenario
You would think with 3 Niñas in a row that one should behave like a traditional one with lot of cold and storm chances the first half and then a warmup and early spring arriving in February

His model blend also shows well below normal snowfall for the winter.

MJO is still the biggest driver of the pattern IMO. You get into favorable phases in the MJO and you get a storm like last year where most people got above average snowfall. On top of that it was quite cold for a good 6 week span of January- Mid February. Not quite sure what that time span will be this year but even La Niña generally gets some really cold outbreaks so it won’t surprise me to see another 3-6 week stretch of really good temperatures and increased snowfall chances.

Hard to believe we go all winter without at least 1 favorable period of a few weeks of some good chances for winter precip. And honestly we usually have a period in any winter but if the last two years are any indication of what’s to come.. I would be at least a little excited for that possibility. But also don’t forget .. more than likely we will torch at some point as well.. but hey that’s the name of the game in the south. If we could get that NAO block earlier than we did last year that could bode well for more impactful winter weather. 5D7B7674-A0D3-4854-A5C0-E9816C426F5A.png

Yea winter hasn’t torched like a true nina really ! No 2012 yet .
I would say last December was a torch. 3rd warmest on record for KCLT and the last week saw lows everyday 5-10 warmer than average highs. A true Niña though would have seen warmth like that in February and that cold period the last 3 weeks of January and first half of February would have been before.

Back