• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Winter outlook 2022/2023

I’m intrigued by this ! Maybe if we have polar vortex disruption in Septic and October, it’ll actually happen befor March for a change! 41759811-4717-4856-8330-9D4791BBBDC2.png

I’m intrigued by this ! Maybe if we have polar vortex disruption in Septic and October, it’ll actually happen befor March for a change! View attachment 122243
What worries me most is all that warm air over Siberia. We need that region of the world to build snowpack to become the cold source for later in the winter. Hopefully the above normal temps can still get below freezing and drop snow (in Siberia that's possible).

I will say some of those guys in Europe are really smart, and some are total wishcasters. I guess if that happens, would probably be an early start to winter, possibly front loaded

EURO seasonal outlooks (remember that they had a warm October just a month ago so grains of salt obviously) show a cooler than average beginning to winter (November and December) and a warmer look for January and February.. maybe a December to remember ??‍♂️

EURO seasonal outlooks (remember that they had a warm October just a month ago so grains of salt obviously) show a cooler than average beginning to winter (November and December) and a warmer look for January and February.. maybe a December to remember ??‍♂️
Perhaps one of these La Niñas will actually look like a La Niña with a front loaded cold first half of winter and early spring the 2nd half

Don't these seasonal models rely pretty heavily on climo as you get toward the longer leads? I don't know their algorithms, but I think I remember hearing that.

There are some hints on the seasonal models that are encouraging with the pv possibly residing on our side of the pole for once, a big pac ridge, and -nao. My biggest fear for this winter is slowly going away from a big SER to a strong TPV in Canada with mediocre ridging in both oceans with a zonal flow across the conus

What worries me most is all that warm air over Siberia. We need that region of the world to build snowpack to become the cold source for later in the winter. Hopefully the above normal temps can still get below freezing and drop snow (in Siberia that's possible).
Yes, I have been looking at areas like Omsk, Khatanga, Yakutsk in Siberia and Im amazed at the warmth. I bet residents (what few there are) are thankful, but will tell you in a heartbeat that its not like it once was. Maybe cold air will be transient and well distributed this year, but I'm like you, I'd rather see a good snowpack and cold build there first and foremost.

Back