• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter 2019-20 Discussion

Holy hell !!!!!
3431a94dd79de693c0a6bab187575a79.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would rather have 1 large ice storm 1-3” with just cold rain Asheville to GSP. Gridlock Charlotte to Raleigh to Boone.

Would you guys rather have multiple threats this winter or one big storm this winter area wide. With the correct blocking pattern let’s hope it lasts till April.

Multiple threats: Means more cold air, more days with wintery precip falling, and more days of tracking a storms.

I can't think of the last time I had multiple significant events in one winter.

Is there anything we can start looking at now to give us an idea of how the Winter pattern might be shaping up? I see HM had tweeted about seeing a 5 to 8 week time frame of unrelenting cold for the east but didn't go into much detail in regards.

Is there anything we can start looking at now to give us an idea of how the Winter pattern might be shaping up? I see HM had tweeted about seeing a 5 to 8 week time frame of unrelenting cold for the east but didn't go into much detail in regards.

Most page owners don’t start looking until mid to late October

I can't think of the last time I had multiple significant events in one winter.
Since about 2010 that I can remember here. Light ice in mid December, Christmas Day snow, January 9-10, 2011 snowstorm, and 1-1.5 inches of snow in February right before Valentines Day. *sighs* I long for the winters of 2009-2010 and 2010-2011.? I rather have winters like that with at least one wintry event every month from DJF, possibly March as a bonus instead of one big one. At the same time however I kinda want the big one because Atlanta hasn’t had a double digit snowfall in nearly 80 years (1940) when my grandmother was born. Neither have we had a 1 footer+ at least not technically on record from the airport. Edit: I forgot we had a very brief period of sleet in mid November also.

Since about 2010 that I can remember here. Light ice in mid December, Christmas Day snow, January 9-10, 2011 snowstorm, and 1-1.5 inches of snow in February right before Valentines Day. *sighs* I long for the winters of 2009-2010 and 2010-2011.? I rather have winters like that with at least one wintry event every month from DJF, possibly March as a bonus instead of one big one. At the same time however I kinda want the big one because Atlanta hasn’t had a double digit snowfall in nearly 80 years (1940) when my grandmother was born. Neither have we had a 1 footer+ at least not technically on record from the airport. Edit: I forgot we had a very brief period of sleet in mid November also.
Nashville never got a big snow per se that winter, but we had several 2 inch events. Dec 12, Christmas Day, January 11, and February 10 were all 2 inch snows, with a couple of 1/2 to 1 inch events in late January to boot. I definitely think I can live with that. :) Funny thing is I think I remember most winter forecasts for 2010-11 were for a warm winter.

If I’m reading the tea leaves correctly, the QBO should be favorable this winter. If true, we can remove it from consideration as to which three-letter acronym will ruin it for us. ?

Back