• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry The Webber/1300m/Kylo/Jon/Whatalife Storm January 12th-14th

Mmm from memory this one is a touch colder.

Here are dew points on gfs for this current storm

View attachment 10188
That’s probably 10 degrees drier across the board to start than December was.

But at 850s and 2m temps it’s not really substantially different.

December: View attachment 10190
This storm:
View attachment 10189

Overall the air mass is mildly drier than December. But not much overall temp change. One could ague this setup is warmer in VA, but colder further north.

Thank you!

I remember things like “decaying high pressure” and “rotting” being thrown around everywhere in early December. That airmass wasn’t really a big supernatural one. This one is fresh off the Polar Express but as others have said it’s not in the most ideal of positions

In this case, it may be so that the fresher nature of the air mass offsets the less than favorable HP location, allowing the end result to be similar to the December event. Still a lot to be decided.

Do you think it could come south?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ukie and Euro will be telling. I feel like we’re moving away from the suppressed solution and that’s the only way it really stays “south”. We need that northern shortwave a little bit stronger when it interacts with our southern piece if we want a suppressed solution

Ukie and Euro will be telling. I feel like we’re moving away from the suppressed solution and that’s the only way it really stays “south”. We need that northern shortwave a little bit stronger when it interacts with our southern piece if we want a suppressed solution

Just a low track around the northern gulf. And a High pressure at least into the United States vs Canada would help wonders

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No thank you Mr. Canadian!
zr_acc.us_ma.png

As soon as I saw a cad sig pop up a few days ago, I thought about ice popping up on models sometime, we needa watch that ice threat

Latest fv shifted the higher slp slightly more south at hour 96, but slowed down the lp a bit

GEFS looked like a bit of an improvement but it's clear what direction it wants. I can't post it for some reason though.

Do you know how the cold air source compares with the upcoming event? That may enable a high farther away to be more effective than it would have been back in December. I'm speculating that we have colder drier air to pull from this go-round, but I don't have a quick comparison of the two events, so I could be wrong.

This is a whole lot colder set up for this storm potential. Much lower level cold air will b entrenched and sustained. DPs are gonna be alot lower and wetbulbing will be colder in Upstate and NE GA unlike the Dec event. So Id be paying real close attn east of the apps, even if the 850 0 line is to your north.. Damming looks to be a lot more stout this go round.

Back