• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Stock Market

Time to start hopping on the train is when the curve stops going up and it plateaus or levels out as they say.

@GeorgiaGirl To piggyback off of our YUM discussion earlier. I went to Taco Bell (part of YUM brands) about an hour ago and the girl at the drive they window said they have been verrrry slow. Something to keep In kind. This is going to hurt the entire restaurant industry. I’m not sure anyone is immune.

@GeorgiaGirl To piggyback off of our YUM discussion earlier. I went to Taco Bell (part of YUM brands) about an hour ago and the girl at the drive they window said they have been verrrry slow. Something to keep In kind. This is going to hurt the entire restaurant industry. I’m not sure anyone is immune.

Oh honestly in my case, I'll probably wait a while and leave the rest of my cash as it is. There's more to think about other than the next 2-3 weeks, it's also the Q2 reports and they're mostly not until May. I think cases like Disney and Yum are going to be fine long term but I don't know where their end point is with their drop. I think REITs (Hilton/PK as another example of one) are as good as hammered and probably not going to recover for a year to a year and a half.

And I know what I described goes against what you'd probably do...lol (and what plenty of others would do because you're not supposed to look to try to catch the falling knife and time a low).

Last edited:
What site would y’all recommend for someone getting into stock investing?

open a brokerage account with Charles Schwab if you have thousands to put in. If you want to play with a few hundred dollars and buy crypto then use Robinhood. It’s a dangerous game for new traders. Be careful, do your own research and never follow someone into a buy. Invest long term buy and forget it for a few years. Day trading you can lose your ---- quick.

open a brokerage account with Charles Schwab if you have thousands to put in. If you want to play with a few hundred dollars and buy crypto then use Robinhood. It’s a dangerous game for new traders. Be careful, do your own research and never follow someone into a buy. Invest long term buy and forget it for a few years. Day trading you can lose your poop quick.

Someone was asking me what the best online broker to use for mainly self directed investing is. He also wanted it to have available a decent money market account to make a little for money not being invested. He was trying to choose between Schwab, Etrade, TD Ameritrade, and Fidelity.

Any recommendations? TIA

Can’t sleep... think about how screwed we probably are. We are on the verge of some dark times. Economically we are screwed. Unemployment is about to skyrocket, multi year recession possibly leading to a depression. Entire industries coming to a standstill, people losing their jobs, people are panicking, can’t find fresh meat at the grocery store, no ammo, run on guns. My god there is blood in the street.

Someone was asking me what the best online broker to use for mainly self directed investing is. He also wanted it to have available a decent money market account to make a little for money not being invested. He was trying to choose between Schwab, Etrade, TD Ameritrade, and Fidelity.

Any recommendations? TIA

I like Schwab. I have a brokerage account (can buy and sell) and a Roth IRA with them. Quick access to deposited funds. You have to get approval for options trading but I haven’t tried to do that yet.

I personally focus on ETFs when I’m invested but I’ll be honest I moved most of my funds to mostly bonds two weeks ago thank god. I’ve managed to only take a 4% loss during this storm.

all of the biggies are probably safe and good bets but again I like Schwab. They haven’t given me a reason to look elsewhere. They have great No fee to buy ETFs which is why I like them so much. Here is what I was invested in before the crash.

Again please don’t take this as trading advice. Had I been in these funds when we crashed I’d be down 20-30% this year. 7CC0CB32-733C-4792-89C1-D7BE9EE7FACC.png

Any recommendations? TIA

TD Ameritrade is supposed to merge with Charles Schwab this year, just FYI.

I'm not sure what he wants, or what Schwab would look like, but when I did what was a 6 month CD last year on TD there was some nice rates I feel with that broker then.

For that matter that makes me wonder, I have money lying in a CD in a bank, half my inheritance money. You would think it'd be fine and as of now it's likely safe. Would it stay safe if something disastrous happens? I'm taking no action for now in this case (just like how I'm leaving the rest of my cash in the TD account as is for now) but I'm curious.

I'm not sure what he wants, or what Schwab would look like, but when I did what was a 6 month CD last year on TD there was some nice rates I feel with that broker then.

For that matter that makes me wonder, I have money lying in a CD in a bank, half my inheritance money. You would think it'd be fine and as of now it's likely safe. Would it stay safe if something disastrous happens? I'm taking no action for now in this case (just like how I'm leaving the rest of my cash in the TD account as is for now) but I'm curious.

Thanks. The CD should be insured up to 250K by the FDIC.

Any recommendations? TIA

I just checked by searching money market on my Schwab account there are a ton of options. Ten’s of them didn’t count but probably 50 plus funds.

Thanks. The CD should be insured up to 250K by the FDIC.

yep as long as it’s FDIC insured your good up to 250,000 just keep in mind lots of smaller local banks like peoples financial (local here) and such aren’t covered by FDIC but you get higher rates.

I like Schwab. I have a brokerage account (can buy and sell) and a Roth IRA with them. Quick access to deposited funds. You have to get approval for options trading but I haven’t tried to do that yet.

I personally focus on ETFs when I’m invested but I’ll be honest I moved most of my funds to mostly bonds two weeks ago thank god. I’ve managed to only take a 4% loss during this storm.

all of the biggies are probably safe and good bets but again I like Schwab. They haven’t given me a reason to look elsewhere. They have great No fee to buy ETFs which is why I like them so much. Here is what I was invested in before the crash.

Again please don’t take this as trading advice. Had I been in these funds when we crashed I’d be down 20-30% this year. View attachment 37298
I worked at Schwab for 20 years and got laid off last year. Good company and zero commissions on trades now. Robin hood keeps crashing, so I would probably avoid it. And Schwab acquired TDA. Anyway, I continue to use Schwab and don't see myself changing that.

Can’t sleep... think about how screwed we probably are. We are on the verge of some dark times. Economically we are screwed. Unemployment is about to skyrocket, multi year recession possibly leading to a depression. Entire industries coming to a standstill, people losing their jobs, people are panicking, can’t find fresh meat at the grocery store, no ammo, run on guns. My god there is blood in the street.
I believe in Jesus Christ and know that God is sovereign over all things. I walk in confidence of that every day and rest in that at night. But I won't lie and say that I am not deeply concerned that this is going to be far worse than what most have imagined. This is why I have probably been more on the big deal wlend of the spectrum.

Our economic structure seems so robust, but we have created an infrastructure that is in reality so delicate that there are many points of failure that lie just below the surface, such that any agent that comes along that disturbs the balance of it is a grave risk to bring the whole system to its knees.

This is going to be really bad. I don't see how we avoid that at this point. And I don't know what the fix is. A few checks in the mail is a band aid on a bleed out. I am legitimately sad that so many people are going to suffer great fallout. I hope that we will really come together as a nation and show love and compassion for our fellow brothers and sisters and and support each other during and after this.

I believe in Jesus Christ and know that God is sovereign over all things. I walk in confidence of that every day and rest in that at night. But I won't lie and say that I am not deeply concerned that this is going to be far worse than what most have imagined. This is why I have probably been more on the big deal wlend of the spectrum.

Our economic structure seems so robust, but we have created an infrastructure that is in reality so delicate that there are many points of failure that lie just below the surface, such that any agent that comes along that disturbs the balance of it is a grave risk to bring the whole system to its knees.

This is going to be really bad. I don't see how we avoid that at this point. And I don't know what the fix is. A few checks in the mail is a band aid on a bleed out. I am legitimately sad that so many people are going to suffer great fallout. I hope that we will really come together as a nation and show love and compassion for our fellow brothers and sisters and and support each other during and after this.

Kind of in response to you and Lithia I think of the sports analogy that "things are never as bad as they seem when it's not going well and they are not as great when everything seems awesome". Yes, our system is very fragile and mother nature can throw it out of whack in a hurry. But we humans have also proven to be pretty damn resilient over the years. The fact China is getting back to moving again is pretty telling. Also, we may already have a vaccine for this strand. Brave men and women have already allowed it to be injected into them in the Seattle area. So while past economic downturns have been painful for many we can look to each one and see that we came out smarter and better for it. The idea is we shouldn't repeat the same mistakes. And to offer one last silver lining is the fact that times like these typically bring our country and people together. During the national tragedy of 911 we all stood together as Americans. I'd like to think this not only brings America together during what has been some of our most divided days but also globally as a species. We truly are all in it together. With the coordination of the other superpowers like China and Germany hopefully we can bring this to an end. Maybe we do learn that our medicine and food delivery systems are really that inner connected. To feed and take care of 7.5 Billion people, we need to get along because it's in all of our best interests.

edit 1: (NOT trying to be political or a globalist, just facts how I see it)

edit 2: (YES, your higher power is #1 before what I posted)

Last edited:
What site would y’all recommend for someone getting into stock investing?

I use Fidelity and it fits my purposes. It has a good educational platform if that's what you're looking for. Like Schwab and TD, they've all gone basically no fee transactions. There is one I'm interested in getting my sons involved with in the next few years called Acorn. I know millenials like Robin Hood and I think this one would be comparable. Basically it rounds up all your purchases (the change) to go directly into your investment account. It's a great way to automate.

Back