• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Nov 30-Dec 1 Flurries/Snow Showers

Atlanta's urban heat island is much more pronounced than virtually any other in the SE US

View attachment 54200

It almost never verifies to that extent. Once you get north of I-85 corridor there’s a good amount of urban forest. My neighborhood in north buckhead is often several degrees cooler than Peachtree road just a mile away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is this because the data that get fed in are from KATL? I am a mile SE from downtown and our temp seems to be pretty consistent with surrounding readings.

QUOTE="ATLwxfan, post: 343371, member: 72"]
It almost never verifies to that extent. Once you get north of I-85 corridor there’s a good amount of urban forest. My neighborhood in north buckhead is often several degrees cooler than Peachtree road just a mile away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[/QUOTE]

Atlanta's urban heat island is much more pronounced than virtually any other in the SE US

View attachment 54200
Whoever inserted the data for this into the new GFS completely over did the heat island. According to this I’m in the island in northern Cobb county, which never verifies.

And the Cumberland Plateau will rob CHA of any stray snow showers... I've seen this movie before (a million times..)..

We won't get the good stuff, but we'll see some action. One thing we do well in the lower elevations of east TN is hang on to low level moisture post-fropa in the winter months, and with 850s dipping to -10C we will likely have measurable amounts. Even if it's only 0.1" of snow, I don't see us getting shut out of this one.

We won't get the good stuff, but we'll see some action. One thing we do well in the lower elevations of east TN is hang on to low level moisture post-fropa in the winter months, and with 850s dipping to -10C we will likely have measurable amounts. Even if it's only 0.1" of snow, I don't see us getting shut out of this one.
hope not.. One good snow shower with temps in the 30s and I'll call it a success.

There's actually a handful of decent members on the GEFS for wrap around snow for the piedmont of NC

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
ehh I think moisture will be long gone before any snow producing cold arrives. Snow will be limited strictly to the higher elevations of the NC. That deform band might look epic and a wide spread moisture power house, but come verification time it'll look much more anemic.

But don't sweat it, I've got a suspicion our patience will be rewarded this winter ;)

ehh I think moisture will be long gone before any snow producing cold arrives. Snow will be limited strictly to the higher elevations of the NC. That deform band might look epic and a wide spread moisture power house, but come verification time it'll look much more anemic.
You are definitely probably right. Just something fun to see atm haha

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Back