• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Nov 30-Dec 1 Flurries/Snow Showers

Gulf of Alaska ridge = :(

Hopefully this is the usual long range EPS nonsense where it doesn't properly handle individual wave breaks in the NP jet, seen it so many times bust in forecasting -EPO, keeping the ridge too far south in the extended ensemble means

View attachment 54166

As bad as it is, I’m happy about the ridge over Canada!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hopefully this is the usual long range EPS nonsense where it doesn't properly handle individual wave breaks in the NP jet, seen it so many times bust in forecasting -EPO, keeping the ridge too far south in the extended ensemble means

View attachment 54166

that blocking is saving our bacon with regards to a southeast ridge right there, but that GOA ridge is a highlight unfortunately of our pattern the last several years so it scares me

View attachment 54166
Although this run was better than the last two over the NW.
F0661CD1-8046-4D2F-86B4-167B81661240.gif

Since there have been recent posts with people asking about some of the basics, here's a (brief) explanation for why people are excited about the third wave from the 12z ECMWF. This upper air pattern supports a coastal low forming (roughly) around the area circled in the red, and the steering currents would take it close to the coast. ecmwf_z500aNorm_us_11.png

Furthermore, air will be plenty cold to support snow (the 850mb level is about 5000ft up -- my understanding is this is more accurate to model than surface temps at this range). Generally, 850 temps <0C can support snow, but as we get closer to the event, we would need to look at more detailed temperature profiles for warm pockets of air, which are unfortunately common in our area.
ecmwf_T850_us_11.png

I am officially booked for gatlinburg. My wife and I will be staying at the same place we stayed in February of 2018 and we got 2 inches. I’m hoping for 3+ this go around. 18z GFS and ICON continued to look good. I will keep you guys posted and am looking forward to it!

I am officially booked for gatlinburg. My wife and I will be staying at the same place we stayed in February of 2018 and we got 2 inches. I’m hoping for 3+ this go around. 18z GFS and ICON continued to look good. I will keep you guys posted and am looking forward to it!
Enjoy it! You should be good for at least 2-4 with some gusty winds too.

Back