• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Nov 30-Dec 1 Flurries/Snow Showers

Even this far out, I think it's pretty safe to say w/ near-certainty that someone east of the Rockies between Texas & Oklahoma to the Carolinas is going to see some significant winter weather during the first week of December from this upper level low given the active subtropical jet and very favorable longwave pattern/Rex blocking that'll be in place. That's about the extent of what we know regarding this "threat" atm.

Important to also keep in mind that upper lows and Rex blocking patterns are among the most unpredictable features to forecast and are usually full of surprises even in the short range, so expect a ton of changes between now & early December, arguably even more than you're accustomed to seeing in the day 9-10+ range.

FYI- before the complaining starts about "too soon" "jinx" whatever else, stop it, the thread is fine. The only suggestion I have is maybe opening up the dates on the title a little bit.
And we will delete those post and repeats might get a brief ban from the thread.

It’s not to early for this thread. Because we all need it to move off of politics. But I will say hopefully things become clearer on this event after thanksgiving! Pretty excited to have something to track

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The most recent example I can find of a major winter storm in NC that occurred when of the EPO, NAO, WPO, & PNA, only the PNA was favorable occurred in January 2018 courtesy of (you guessed it) an upper level low.

January 16-18 2018 NC Snow map.png

1606229547211.png

A few honorable mentions to Dec 16-17 1973 & Jan 23-24 1955 that produced significant winter storms in NC during patterns where only the PNA was favorable

January 23-24 1955 NC Snowmap.png

December 16-17 1973 NC Snowmap.png

The most recent example I can find of a major winter storm in NC that occurred when of the EPO, NAO, WPO, & PNA, only the PNA was favorable occurred in January 2018 courtesy of (you guessed it) an upper level low.

View attachment 53325

View attachment 53326

A few honorable mentions to Dec 16-17 1973 & Jan 23-24 1955 that produced significant winter storms in NC during patterns where only the PNA was favorable

View attachment 53327

View attachment 53328
I'll take any of those the first week of Dec and not complain one bit.

I know the better chance for snow on the board will be the ULL, but don’t sleep on the first system completely. Still got a few good GEFS members for parts of the area early next week. Mountain support at the least looks somewhat better.75DC7AD1-E8DE-4728-B6C0-C976F08C2559.png

View attachment 53325

View attachment 53326

View attachment 53327

View attachment 53328
Any of those will do

Back