• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Muddy March 2021

You seem to be a lot more knowledgeable than me, but isn’t March getting late to have widespread ZR/IP storms? It just seems that after 3/1 SE winter storms tend to take the form of snow. I’m sure there have been March ice storms, but I honestly can’t recall any in my lifetime
March 2014

You seem to be a lot more knowledgeable than me, but isn’t March getting late to have widespread ZR/IP storms? It just seems that after 3/1 SE winter storms tend to take the form of snow. I’m sure there have been March ice storms, but I honestly can’t recall any in my lifetime

3/1960 had 2 in ATL. 3/1948 and LATE 3/1971 had one. 3/1980 brought some ZR to SAV. 3/1962 gave areas pretty far south in SC/GA major ZR. 2/25/1914, which is only 4 days from 3/1, gave areas way south in GA/SC severe ZR.

Go back to March 2013, may be 2014 . Had 3 here if my memory is correct

I'll gladly wait another month or two for warm weather. Summers in this part of the world is long enough and winter is fleeting.

I enjoy fall. Winter without something wintery is just a waste in my mind. With age I appreciate summers more and more.

Judah thinks the PV has another push left for early March. Let’s hope he’s wrong and we can move on with things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3/1960 had 2 in ATL. 3/1948 and LATE 3/1971 had one. 3/1980 brought some ZR to SAV. 3/1962 gave areas pretty far south in SC/GA major ZR. 2/25/1914, which is only 4 days from 3/1, gave areas way south in GA/SC severe ZR.
Thank you and I also checked out 2014 to see the northern NC Piedmont had a couple significant ice storms in March. I’ve not experienced one that late down into CLT metro but I see now that they have happened. My own personal experiences with significant March winter storms that I can recall are 1983, 1993, and 2009 which all were significant snow producers for CLT metro... the ‘93 Superstorm did have a period of sleet as the changeover was occurring IMBY and I remember getting about 90 minutes or so of sleet as the ‘09 storm was starting late that afternoon... I remember the roads in my neighborhood were already slushy from sleet when that heavy snow started and it had no trouble sticking despite the temperature staying about 33-34

Yeah, there’s been some hint in models for that timeframe and it’s not exactly in LaLa land now.

All other models don't get nearly as much cold air as far south as GFS. So, it could easily be on crack due to cold bias...even the cold biased ICON isn't so cold.

1. After getting through the possible March 2nd "threat", 0Z GEFS is warmer and a torch almost the rest of the run.

2. 0Z Doc remains quite a bit warmer than GFS in E Canada late month/early Mar. Later maps maintain no SE wintry threat as looks way different vs GFS.

Last edited:
Thank you and I also checked out 2014 to see the northern NC Piedmont had a couple significant ice storms in March. I’ve not experienced one that late down into CLT metro but I see now that they have happened. My own personal experiences with significant March winter storms that I can recall are 1983, 1993, and 2009 which all were significant snow producers for CLT metro... the ‘93 Superstorm did have a period of sleet as the changeover was occurring IMBY and I remember getting about 90 minutes or so of sleet as the ‘09 storm was starting late that afternoon... I remember the roads in my neighborhood were already slushy from sleet when that heavy snow started and it had no trouble sticking despite the temperature staying about 33-34
March 93, also had some frz rz in Triad before back end snow changeover. May not have been much but enough for trees down. Ground saturated and wind combo. Oak trees oh no!

Lol. I thought events like that were common as a younger kid. How dumb he was! ?

Back