• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Mega March 2023

I really have never thought early to mid March is THAT bad for us to be able to get snow in the upper SE regions. Given a solid pattern there is still plenty of cold air we can tap into and wave lengths aren’t too funky. When was the last high amp phase 8 in March? I would like to see some of those historical maps

The Euro may even be underestimating how cold we could get as a result of the SSWE. Could still get interesting.

In the meantime we have two legit shots to hit 80°in ATL tomorrow and Wednesday and with lower dew points!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The eps is an icebox from 240hrs until the end of the run. Weenie stuff. It’s probably too late but it’ll still be before March 15th so worth watching.

I really have never thought early to mid March is THAT bad for us to be able to get snow in the upper SE regions. Given a solid pattern there is still plenty of cold air we can tap into and wave lengths aren’t too funky. When was the last high amp phase 8 in March? I would like to see some of those historical maps
Really I think it just comes down to getting that elusive favorable pattern as much as anything, which is what we struggle to get regardless of month.

Put together these charts for CLT back in 2017. Climo snowfall in Dec and March mimics each other. Early Dec = Late Mar. Late Dec = Early Mar

8VbC9dW.png

JDlg30c.png

uzos5Vu.png

Really I think it just comes down to getting that elusive favorable pattern as much as anything, which is what we struggle to get regardless of month.

Put together these charts for CLT back in 2017. Climo snowfall in Dec and March mimics each other. Early Dec = Late Mar. Late Dec = Early Mar

8VbC9dW.png

JDlg30c.png

uzos5Vu.png
What this tells me is that December and March are basically the same in terms of snow climo for Charlotte. Yet i've heard over and over how March is so much better for snow than December.

Yep. Sucks it’s March. Checks every check box for snow, 50/50-confluence and a west based block keeping it stuck, extended pacific jet feeding in pacific energy, cutoff ridge near Alaska (-WPO/-EPO) feeding in the Arctic, it’s one of the best looks you can ask for. But it’s March and climo says we should be entering 60s for highs. Not ideal for us
To me if I’m in the Northeast or MA my ears would be perked up to get something pretty decent as we close the season. CAD areas of NC/SC/NEGA can score but you’re looking at grasping straws to get even 30-32 BL temps even with this look because it’s mid March. I mean we will be below average and it certainly will still feel like winter for most of March but it’s still not cold enough IMO for us to score a legit winter storm at this point

Strongly negative epo/wpo and some semblance of a -nao and ao. If we can't score in that setup, even though it's beginning to mid march, we need to focus on other things lol.

Looks like coldest air on the planet is over the East and SE! Better late than never!

I mean these are anomalies not absolute temps.

But yeah it won’t be what it is right now that’s for sure. The bathtub will slosh.

That is the coldest epo eps map I've seen in a long time. In all seriousness, if we can't score with this, we will never score lol. ?‍♂️

That is the coldest epo eps map I've seen in a long time. In all seriousness, if we can't score with this, we will never score lol.

There’s a difference between being cold and scoring. I agree though the constellation of EPO/NAO/PNA/MJO checks the boxes. I would lose hope if we didn’t score in climo winter in this scenario but not Mid March.

There’s a difference between being cold and scoring. I agree though the constellation of EPO/NAO/PNA/MJO checks the boxes. I would lose hope if we didn’t score in climo winter in this scenario but not Mid March.

Yeah, so much has to go right for you to score outside the mountains the deeper we go into March. While I’m very confident we’ll have at least a 10-14 stretch of below average, possibly well below average, temperatures, I just simply have no confidence of anyone scoring a late season snow outside of the mountains, adjacent foothills, and areas north of I-40 up into VA.

Back