• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Mega March 2023

The intriguing thing is where the storm track sets up as the -NAO and -PNA duke it out. Feast or famine for I-95 snow lovers.

GFS really cranking a -NAO as we get into early March. But, just when you think the ridge is getting subdued it cranks back up even stronger. It reminds me of the disconnect we had last year between the MJO and how the indices manifest. Even in the cold phases we did not get cold at times in the south. Different story for the northeast, they have some serious cold coming their way if the 0z GFS is to be believed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Whether you like it or not cold will come if these looks continue .. we will suffer through more heat and above average temps until maybe the 2nd week of march .. but when that trough out west breaks down and the -NAO ridge builds in and retrogrades west enough.. fun things will happen underneath. Enjoy the warmth now cause it will be cold again. 728C28E0-7780-4E12-9F1F-5F45CDAFAEAC.jpegA83501F5-DDD8-4F5B-999D-CEAF6AFC7CB5.jpegCFE4AF70-B034-4CAA-9CE7-7630875D1F71.jpeg

Whether you like it or not cold will come if these looks continue .. we will suffer through more heat and above average temps until maybe the 2nd week of march .. but when that trough out west breaks down and the -NAO ridge builds in and retrogrades west enough.. fun things will happen underneath. Enjoy the warmth now cause it will be cold again. View attachment 133449View attachment 133450View attachment 133451
It might get cool even cold again, but I doubt we'll be having a lot of fun in it.

It might get cool even cold again, but I doubt we'll be having a lot of fun in it.
Airmasses are moderating considerably. We will likely get some below average temps through March, but I think the winter is all but done now. We just don't have the cold available to work with. I expect 40 degree rains and for it to still have a winter feel through March, but I highly doubt we are getting anything frozen.

My thoughts are that by the time the trough out west shifts east (likely 3/10 or later), we will need exceptional cold outside the mountains to have a good winter storm. We'll see.
TW

My thoughts are that by the time the trough out west shifts east (likely 3/10 or later), we will need exceptional cold outside the mountains to have a good winter storm. We'll see.
TW
You need either an exceptionally cold air mass… which I just don’t see happening or you need a well timed ULL which is typically how you get snow outside the mountains in the southeast after 3/1. If I had to guess, I think we will see temperatures get back to below average as this blocking up top and -NAO takes hold in the next 10 days or so, but I just don’t think there’s cold enough air to work with to make something happen so late in season… maybe if the mid Atlantic and northeast could actually get a decent snowstorm and put some snow pack, something could get well timed right after to give northern areas of the southeast a chance

Back