• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Major Hurricane Irma (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is 850 mb. WHAT EVEN. 141 knts a the surface, or a Cat 5.
hwrf_mslp_uv850_11L_32.png

How do we know the GFS is having issues with Irma's strength with that sub 900mb? It's a model, it could be right or wrong.

Sent from my SM-J327T1 using Tapatalk

How do we know the GFS is having issues with Irma's strength with that sub 900mb? It's a model, it could be right or wrong.

The GFS has convective parameterization issues that allow it to over intensify
They don't even get that strong very often in the W Pacific or Pacific!

Yeah, there's usually a ~7-10% reduction in wind speed between the 850 hPa level and the surface but even still you'd still be talking category 5 surface winds in the eyewall verbatim...

Gifs has a history of over strengthening storms plus all the reasons Eric listed above

Sent from my SM-J320VPP using Tapatalk
That's true, let me put it this way. How do we know the GFS is having issues with this particular hurricane?

I don't even really know if those intensities are realistic... but this certainly could be one of the strongest hurricanes ever to threaten the NE Caribbean in any case

navgem_mslp_pcpn_us_24.png
People don't ever pay the NAVGEM model any attention but I did doing Harvey and it was correct!! It have trended South a lot with the trough pulling away much faster!!! Look at 500mb, and plus that system around the Bay of Campeche is showing back up!!

Just a little side note here peeps..... this site is much different than most and extremely patient, carefree even with post. For the most part.... but if things hold true this place could get crazy busy and serious next week. All I ask is that we don't get to a point where you have to read 2/3 a page before you get to useful info. You know we don't really care about banter but there are times it can get in the way so just use good judgment, read before you post and help us keep it fairly clutter free if/when that time gets here next week. Thanks and carry on!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back