• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Major Hurricane Irma (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cone starting to show the turn north
145233_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png
Looks further West, though, like the West side of Florida

I noticed with the new advisory that the winds are up to 180mph but the pressure is holding around 928mb. Should we expect a pressure drop to happen soon? Seems like based on the historical chart posted earlier that would be imminent? 180mph storms have been 900mb. I just don't know the correlation. If someone could chime in, I'd appreciate it.

I noticed with the new advisory that the winds are up to 180mph but the pressure is holding around 928mb. Should we expect a pressure drop to happen soon? Seems like based on the historical chart posted earlier that would be imminent? 180mph storms have been 900mb. I just don't know the correlation. If someone could chime in, I'd appreciate it.

basically Irma is in an area of the Atlantic where storms usually don't get this strong(as evidenced by the NHC mention), and the surrounding pressures are high(think why its going to the US in the first place, high pressure), so that's where the difference comes from

the other 180 mph storms were 180 mph in the Caribbean or Gulf(where pressures are often lower anyway) never here in the Central Atlantic

ok thread looks better now on a new page lol

Yeah, the top bar was in the bottom.

Back to Irma, I'm not sure if an ERC is happening or not. It almost looks like it was about to, but stopped. There is no recon support that one is occurring.

Back to Irma, I'm not sure if an ERC is happening or not. It almost looks like it was about to, but stopped. There is no recon support that one is occurring.

I mostly lurk during the Winter, but this storm has my attention- When you say, are you referring to Eyewall Replacement Cycle?

Epic! Irma causing all kinds of problems

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Is there anything realistic chance that Irma might reach 190-200mph? It seems like it may do it

Sent from my LG-M153 using Tapatalk

Again , guests take 30 seconds to sign up cause will more than likely turn off the guest option by mid week to help with the server load

Sent from my SM-J320VPP using Tapatalk

Is there anything realistic chance that Irma might reach 190-200mph? It seems like it may do it

Sent from my LG-M153 using Tapatalk
As far as now, I don't think it's possible, but Irma just pulled 180 surprisingly. If there is a chance, I would say closer to the Bahamas if it can keep cat 5 status.

I certainly think it could get stronger in the Bahamas ***IF*** it avoids land and times its ERC's correctly or at least make another run at what it is now

I mean nobody expected 180 mph this morning

Most likely between now and then it'll fluctuate... they usually don't stay at a 5 for more than a day or two and then they weaken through ERC's or what not and may become a 5 again down the road. A few have done it 3 times like Ivan and Isabel and Allen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back