• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Major Hurricane Florence

That's the most alarming part of that discussion. 150mph could be a conservative forecast.
The increased forward speed is the 2nd scariest part! And I love how they basically toss the GFS! It was our only hope!

The increased forward speed is the 2nd scariest part! And I love how they basically toss the GFS! It was our only hope!

Even then the GFS would have been devastating to the Outer Banks with a stalled cat 3/4 for days. Unfortunately there don’t seem to be any good outcomes for Florence right now as they all involve land.

I think the GFS would actually be a worst outcome if it turned out to be right about stalling right off the coast for days like it was showing yesterday vs just landfalling and going inland.

To start off the 18z model suite, the ICON is still a close miss, but Florence's forward speed is faster vs. 12z and it's moving NNE away from NC instead of looping back to the south and west like the 12z run did.

Is there still a chance for a SW shift causing a landfall in SC?
While only several ensemble members from the EPS support it, there isn't that high of a chance unless the models aren't picking up on something. Now if it's SC in general, there is a good chance as it's nearly a NC/SC border landfall. If the storm decides it wants to defy model logic, it could come down the coast some. I've seen strange things happen and after the cone shifts last year with Irma and other storms, anything is possible.

So yeah after the latest GFS run if I lived anywhere from Dirty Myrtle to Ocracoke island I would be highly concerned right now. Batten down the hatches

Back