• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Jan 15-16 Winter Storm Discussion & Obs

Interesting post from ILMRoss over on American making the case that the 18z GFS of not right.
No there's a little truth to that. SLPs want to ride ribbons of low level vorticity, which is the fancy pants way of saying "wind shifts". During CAD wedges, there's an area (typically off the coast) where the NE winds of the wedge butt directly against the SW or SE flowing winds off the coast. This is an area of natural "spin". When upper air energy is close by that spin gets stretched and spins faster (think the common ballerina analogy where it spins faster when the ballerina brings body closer together).

So the GFS has this. I've tried to put in some arrows below showing wind speed and where this "ribbon" exists and where you'd expect the LLC to ride. This is basically why all the mets are flummoxed as to why the GFS wants to barrel this thing up 95.image.png.1f3be307fb7c3b76e2b1ff782282b9f7.png

One-two fast trends with the cutoff off cali or the more digging with the southern part of the energy and we’re gonna go back to a flatter/sheared look, it’s close View attachment 104061
Agreed. Regardless of which way it ultimately ends up (amped or flatter), it's a real tightrope until that energy is diving southward and I don't know that this is going to be settled definitively until Thursday evening or Friday when it's actually onshore. I think the ICON solution was a little wonky and probably extreme, but something in-between the ICON and the current op GFS/Euro solutions is probably the most likely scenario based on the current trends.

Back