• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Jan 15-16 Winter Storm Discussion & Obs

Would be nice to see this overperform.

Does anyone remember the band of snow that came through on 2/11/2014 prior to the main storm (which came on 2/12) and absolutely clobbered some areas of S NC? New Bern got 10” and I don’t think it was even close to being forecasted. I don’t remember the synoptic setup for that one and if this bears any similarities. I assume I’m just being a modernweenie .

View attachment 105195
James, I don't remember the synoptic setup, but I think you're right this "pre-event" was a complete surprise down there. Think everyone was focused on the real event just after that, which I think performed as expected.

I feel like the NC side of the CLT metro will be saved by sleet, not to mention as I said earlier the heavy precip will make it hard for ZR to accrue, especially onto trees and other objects.
Only problem is heavy ZR can accrue much more easier when it’s in the 20s, but there is a shot sleet saves us for sure

Does the euro have a better handle on this storm better than the other model seems to me it keeps on showing the same thing over and over the last few runs

Coming back east and south with the snow too. Shows a bad icestorm for much of SC, specifically for the Columbia area over towards Florence.
I'd rather have all rain and the ice potential is what's scaring me with this storm. Especially since I'm in Dillon and that is more of what we seem to be on track of getting.

Wind chills are gonna be insane during this event lol.

sfctapp.us_ma.png

sfctapp.us_ma.png

Most of you guys were not even here, or your parents, in January 1973. Atlanta got obliterated by an ice storm, we had no power for 11 days, it was fun at first for this 17 year old, but got old after about the 4th day. Ironically this started sat night into Sunday. And how about the blizzard a month later in central GA which dumped 15-24 inches. This was a La Nina year as well.

Last edited:
Back