• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Jan 15-16 Winter Storm Discussion & Obs

Here is the latest output for KGSO

prec.png

For people in central NC it’s certainly interesting the NAM kept the low east and there for we went from 28 to 32 to then 36 as we peaked there. That wedge gets any more staying power or that low is slightly further East when it makes that move up the coast .. there will be a defined area that stays below freezing and depicting that will be hard at this stage
This was a cold run for MBY. Never got above freezing. We’ll see.

This was a cold run for MBY. Never got above freezing. We’ll see.

We’ve all seen this movie before. The trends over the week have been less and less and less snow. The story will be “warm nose string than forecasted” let’s be real here. If ice storms are your thing, you might have fun depending on location.

For NC, this is a mountain special, foothill mixed bag, piedmont ice storm and a heart break for the southern CLT and RDU metro areas per normal.
Wouldn't say that just yet. There will be more changes on the way..... maybe good, maybe not. We will know one way or the other by tomorrow this time.

Looking at the NBM shows some reasons for why they put the watch where so far. The 2 inch+ area matches up somewhat with the current watch. I’m very interested to see where we go with the next set of models.View attachment 105155

That makes sense. Pretty paltry and doesn’t warrant advisory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Charlotte is probably gonna stay below freezing with temperatures in the peak being in the mid-20s.
Yeah.. I’m thinking right now the city and the SE parts of the metro area are gonna be about 80/20 with IP/ZR for a lot of the storm. With temps down into the 20s, that’s perfect for accumulate quickly depending on intensity and just enough ZR to make like hard concrete

I know this will probably get moved to another thread but after the last couple of model trends I’m not sure why we are under a winter storm watch. It’s clearly trending to rain for those south of 85. Warmer temps each run.
Stephen, it’s not going to rain. That shallow cold air would never allow it. No one is arguing IF the region is going to get frozen precipitation. The only questions up in the air currently are “What type of frozen precip?” and “How much?”

This is a major winter storm. We haven’t seen one like this in a very long time.

Yeah.. I’m thinking right now the city and the SE parts of the metro area are gonna be about 80/20 with IP/ZR for a lot of the storm. With temps down into the 20s, that’s perfect for accumulate quickly depending on intensity and just enough ZR to make like hard concrete
Tomorrow we will definitely have a better understanding of what is going to fall where. I will say this if ZR accumulations increase, at all we're going to have some serious issues. Really hoping we can get a good thump of snow before and afterward though. Either way, with the wind that's coming with this system I definitely expect some power outages and tree damage. Especially, if ZR amounts go up.

Please stop this already. It’s tiresome
The strength of the CAD will be everything with this. If it is strong enough we will get freezing rain in much of NC and SC even if the low center went west of the apps. This will not be like the 2017, or 2018 systems IF that high is there. Snow would be north of us of course with an inland low track, but we WOULD have ZR over a large area. Those other systems were more of a rain versus snow/sleet scenario and generally the boundary was I-85. IF we have CAD the freezing line will end up WELL south of there, perhaps to CAE, Augusta, and ATL. I may be wrong but my gut feeling says we have CAD so we need to be ready for ice over a large area on Sunday.

Tomorrow we will definitely have a better understanding of what is going to fall where. I will say this if ZR accumulations increase, at all we're going to have some serious issues. Really hoping we can get a good thump of snow before and afterward though. Either way, with the wind that's coming with this system I definitely expect some power outages and tree damage. Especially, if ZR amounts go up.
This thing has serious trouble written all over it for many of us I'm afraid. If we can not get snow, I'm hoping for sleet rather than ice.

Wouldn't say that just yet. There will be more changes on the way..... maybe good, maybe not. We will know one way or the other by tomorrow this time.
If that CAD high is there ice will be a big story all the way to Columbia. Your area should still get snow and sleet regardless. No ZR there i so not think.

Last edited:
if there’s one thing you can take to the bank, it’s that models overdo wind gusts. It’ll be gusty, but that seems excessive.
Usually, but the last time they were modeled a couple of weeks ago we got close here. Hopefully we go back to form this time with the winds and they are indeed not that strong.

Question-

What could cause the warm nose to be less potent?

I remember models usually taking a northwest jog before go-time, and I was wondering if the low had less interaction with the GoM, would the warm nose be as potent?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back