• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Jan 15-16 Winter Storm Discussion & Obs

Not understand the mixing issues here. With a 1031 high should be enough to avoid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That sounds like the Oconee County Snow Hole. I have no idea why it happens or the reasoning behind it, but it does that in a lot of snowstorms.

We've had many debates over the years about it. My reasoning is immediate downloading spot in SC and lake keowee which is a Duke power lake. At the discharge(mid lake) the water stays near 70 degrees in the heart of winter. Thats just a small part of the lake but surface temps immediately around that area are always at least 3 degrees warmer for about a square mile or so. Which also leads and pretty much borders into Pickens County. When I'd leave work in November at 5am it would be say 27 until I got down the road away from there and it would be 23. Then when you have borderline temp events where 1 degree at 950mb means everything then it comes in to play. I'm at Mcguire nuclear now which sits on lake Norman and I do believe this area close to Huntersville NC experiences the same problem. Again only my opinion

Wow. Impressive front band
b586a3af7786e85fe22fed2b1ad9a995.jpg

Back