• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Jan 15-16 Winter Storm Discussion & Obs

Can we please keep these posts related to this storm and not trips that people have planned to the mountains this weekend? The answer is common sense. Come on, folks.
I 100% agree, but there is also an element of these people putting their life in danger with a storm like this traveling to an unknown area with the conditions we are about to see from Asheville to Boone and surrounding areas. It's a stretch, but the questions being asked could save a life, and there should be an outlet for them somewhere if not here.

For the upstate peeps, notice that every one of these maps has a finger of lower amounts into Pickens County, with the one on the GFS being very pronounced. This is interesting as the finger of mins usually expands West to include Oconee, and often, extreme NE GA. In this case I am not exaclty sure why we see such a specific finger over only Pickens, but my guess is this may point to the effect elevation is having here. Even a few hundred feet could make a significant difference AND this is also the usual struggle line between better CAD push and less. I don't remember seeing it so pronounced on so many models for such a small area before but I don't think it can be ignored unfortunately. The other thing to note is that the heavier blue to purple band is a little further south of the 85 corridor itself, which is a good sign, especailly as many of the models continue to press this heavier band a few miles south each run. We really need to pay attention to the short term models tomorrow.

That sounds like the Oconee County Snow Hole. I have no idea why it happens or the reasoning behind it, but it does that in a lot of snowstorms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do we think we will probably start getting winter storm watches issued in the next 24 hours? I would assume we will start seeing them for N GA by tomorrow morning or afternoon at the latest given we would be within about 48 hours of the event kicking off by then.
Have heard through the grapevine we see some winter products get issued in the Carolinas later today

That sounds like the Oconee County Snow Hole. I have no idea why it happens or the reasoning behind it, but it does that in a lot of snowstorms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Some one post a couple of years ago that it has to do with the Savannah River and the warm air that flows up from the Atlantic. I can't remember who posted it but they seem to be pretty spot on.

1642334400-MBDM5CHh4pI.png

Little weaker, faster, and SE

Back