• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Jan 15-16 Winter Storm Discussion & Obs

The CMC is much more NW with low placement inland in NC and VA then any other model, can't believe in that too much especially with GFS backing off of such a NW placement.

This sucks

gem_mslp_pcpn_frzn_seus_14.png
Ends up pushing into south central PA; switching DC up to Boston over to rain. We saw outputs like this yesterday. I guess it's a possible outcome at this point.

I'm in ballantyne, and I'm sure my weather will be similar to yours.. do you think we're going to have crippling freezing rain?
Personally I don’t. Like I posted earlier, in most Miller As, the are of significant ice build up is in a band so much more narrow than what these ZR maps show. Right now looking at the soundings I would expect southern Mecklenburg over to Union County to get a decent front end thump of snow, a quick couple inches or so with a FGEN band, and then go over to a sleet/snow mix then mostly sleet with some ZR at times. Like I said the sleet could really be heavy perhaps being similar to February 2014 when this area saw 2-3” of sleet after the initial snow. After this we will see if any of the backside deform band swings through

12z canadian yesterday vs today. dont get caught up in specifics just have to hope these trends continue.
gem_mslp_pcpn_frzn_seus_18.png
gem_mslp_pcpn_frzn_seus_14.png
That’s a difference of what… 450 miles or so in 24 hours, 2 runs? Obviously there is a clear trend here. Both operationals and ensembles are beginning to cluster now to a solution on the track. Between I-95 and the coastline… I think it will ultimately end up closer to the coast line than 95

Note "conservative"

I think so too. I love CJ, but if you have lived in the Upstate, you know he has been burned by climo quite a few times. I have noticed he has started big and cut back and it is not received well by the general public. Especially now that he is chief meteorologist, I think he is starting low and will increase totals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At what point is this not really a CAD situation dictating LP track though? The high is weak and moving out. LP is too strong for in situ except right up against the mountains.

1993 superstorm had a bit of a nosing HP preceding it too which it overcame like a knife through butter as the low tracked right up through the Triangle.

At what point isn't this really a CAD situation dictating LP track. The high is weak and moving out. LP is too strong for in situ except right up against the mountains.

1993 superstorm had a bit of a nosing HP preceding it too which it overcame like a knife through butter as the low tracked right up through the Triangle.
Odds are they are moving the high out too fast. Globals erode CAD much faster than reality.

Back