• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Jan 15-16 Winter Storm Discussion & Obs

For areas further west such as Charlotte and the 85 corridor, are we looking at staying below freezing for the duration of the event? If so then we likely have a huge ice storm on our hands.
I’m leaning towards us staying below freezing for the duration, possibly the upper 20s, but from what I’m seeing on these soundings, I really think that after that front end thump of snow, we’re gonna see sleet dominate with some ZR until whatever snow the backside brings. I wouldn’t be at all suprised at all if the corridor from eastern CLT metro up to the west side of the triangle has a solid concrete glacier on the ground by Sunday evening

gfs ens showing more members clustered se of the op.
gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_seus_14.png

2022-01-13_11-24-10.jpg

The GFS still seems to be struggling with the CAD. When FFC is even saying that it's more likely a stronger CAD is possible in their AFD then it is either evident that it is underdoing the CAD or we're in for a really cold rain. I lean more toward the GFS failing at CAD. More important to focus on its track I'd say.
LP track was further S & E, which may have been a slight nod to the NAM, but it did appear to struggle with the CAD

I’m leaning towards us staying below freezing for the duration, possibly the upper 20s, but from what I’m seeing on these soundings, I really think that after that front end thump of snow, we’re gonna see sleet dominate with some ZR until whatever snow the backside brings. I wouldn’t be at all suprised at all if the corridor from eastern CLT metro up to the west side of the triangle has a solid concrete glacier on the ground by Sunday evening
I am just north of CLT in Huntersville. Looks to be a lot of IP or ZR around me based on the track and some soundings. Concerned for sure about losing power. If we can get that low to track a little further south or east it might change us to some more snow.

Thru 72 I'd say once again the ensembles overall have a colder look, with more frozen precip (edit: colder than the Op still not the best track for central NC)
1642356000-O14Ds6MphI0.png
Ensembles continue to show a lot more snow in the upstate and piedmont for the duration of the event with more ice down around the midlands

If someone in this area can find a way to stay all or mostly snow there’s going to be some big boy totals. Keep seeing lollipops in this area. NAM was concerning with temp profiles but from what I can remember in the past it’s a little amp happy towards the end of its range. View attachment 104985
Hush!!!! Lol hopefully the nam trends continue and can keep that warm nose at bay. We might make a run for it. I'm sweating bullets.

The GFS still seems to be struggling with the CAD. When FFC is even saying that it's more likely a stronger CAD is possible in their AFD then it is either evident that it is underdoing the CAD or we're in for a really cold rain. I lean more toward the GFS failing at CAD. More important to focus on its track I'd say.
I honestly don't put a lot of stock into what the GFS says in this range. Especially, when it comes to the clown maps and soundings. They are always way overhyped and hardly ever come to fruition. Can't count on both hands how often they are wrong than right. I also have a hard time believing that Nashville ends up with a foot of snow while some of the sweet spots in NC end up with half that, especially during a CAD event like this. I am much more into short-range modeling at this juncture. Just my two cents though.

Thru 72 I'd say once again the ensembles overall have a colder look, with more frozen precip (edit: colder than the Op still not the best track for central NC)
1642356000-O14Ds6MphI0.png

I was burned by the GEFS back in Jan 2016 so I don't know....most of those panels look amazing for my backyard, but I'm always going to be suspect of GFS ensemble members.

I disagree. Climatology speaking he is on point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Models are showing a lot more than that and that is with no FGEN. That is low compared to what we have seen. Climo also says colder temps with CAD and longer duration. I am definitely willing to bet we see this likely increase. Especially in the mountains.

gfs_temp_adv_fgen_850_seus_14 1.pnggfs_temp_adv_fgen_850_neus_15 2.png
Anybody order some FGEN???

Attachments

• gfs_temp_adv_fgen_850_seus_14 1.png
    gfs_temp_adv_fgen_850_seus_14 1.png
    216.5 KB · Views: 29
  • gfs_temp_adv_fgen_850_neus_15 2.png
    gfs_temp_adv_fgen_850_neus_15 2.png
    215 KB · Views: 31
Back