• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Jan 15-16 Winter Storm Discussion & Obs

Did you miss the NAM images earlier? There will be a large area of IP
Yeah, I tend to honestly expect IP to be the dominant P-type across Central NC with this storm at this point.

As a side note, the 12z ICON’s track is pretty beautiful, especially for the western Piedmont and foothills. Definitely rooting for that (or even further east, but beggars can’t be choosers haha).

Who you got...RGEM or GFS. I know where my money would be...

View attachment 104977
I definitely think that the convection-based models will have a better handle on the 850s. I am buying the NAM/RGEM camp with less snow further east at this point. It further will be interesting to see the 3k models come into range.

For areas further west such as Charlotte and the 85 corridor, are we looking at staying below freezing for the duration of the event? If so then we likely have a huge ice storm on our hands.

Well, was enthused about the ticking further south and east on the models today, love the NAM low location and keeping the low pressure closer to the gulf, digging. Pretty classic looking. The thermal profiles suck though with nothing but sleet/freezing rain through most of the Carolinas. Hope that's wrong with snow more on the northern edge.

If someone in this area can find a way to stay all or mostly snow there’s going to be some big boy totals. Keep seeing lollipops in this area. NAM was concerning with temp profiles but from what I can remember in the past it’s a little amp happy towards the end of its range. 4583286A-402B-4F8A-B9DA-696C4154ED77.jpeg

The GFS still seems to be struggling with the CAD. When FFC is even saying that it's more likely a stronger CAD is possible in their AFD then it is either evident that it is underdoing the CAD or we're in for a really cold rain. I lean more toward the GFS failing at CAD. More important to focus on its track I'd say.

Back