• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Jan 15-16 Winter Storm Discussion & Obs

I'd honestly think another 30 to 50 mile south shift and that's a massive N GA, upstate SC snowstorm. Regardless that's one massively powerful Fgen band.
namconus_temp_adv_fgen_850_seus_52.png

Nam 12km sucks with front end snow in cad setups around here, I’m willing to bet hrrr shows it good
I really think you’re right…just looking at the overall set up, it just screams to have a decent size area of snow developing out ahead of the system across the SC Upstate, all of CLT metro and then north up to I-40 in the Piedmont. Seen this many times over the years

You'd be surprised how much ice it takes to really become a major outage issue, .25 minor issues, .5 or more before real problems start to surface. Verbatim it's borderline advisory/warning criteria across most of central NC.

edit: corridor between I-95 and US 1
True my worry is that we haven’t dealt with that much ice in quite a while we’ve only gotten .1-.15 events for as long as I can remember in Apex .. any trees weakened (and of course add in the wind factor) from last wind events will be vulnerable

If the NAM is to be believed then in Georgia your getting hit with a major freezing rain then getting anywhere between 2-6 inches depending on location on the backside snow on top of that... That's power outages glory and frozen everything insulted by snow nice... :/
Plus Temps on Monday high is 40 partly cloudy and that doesn't factor in the snow etc on ground which in these events we always know causes temps to never verify on the high. Tuesday will have similar issues all be it sunnier but your probably not getting very far around parts of GA to Wednesday to be honest.

I really think you’re right…just looking at the overall set up, it just screams to have a decent size area of snow developing out ahead of the system across the SC Upstate, all of CLT metro and then north up to I-40 in the Piedmont. Seen this many times over the years
There’s a difference between the initial snow thump and the pre event..some modeling (past gfs runs) suggested a band of snow coming out of Kentucky and threatening Boone to Winston Salem and southern Virginia 6-12 hours before the precip even starts in the CLT metro.

Back