• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Jan 15-16 Winter Storm Discussion & Obs

I continue to have a hard time believing that, if the triangle start the event in the mid 20s as the euro advertises, we are able to bounce back above freezing. A lot of ice in that event
They are on the extreme East side of the classic damming location, depends on wher me the coastal front sets up! Have seen it 50s and rain in RAH and 25 degrees and pounding sleet/ZR in Greenville, SC

Don't like that icy look. I would probably pare that back a bit as sleet may be more dominate in the colder areas. Somebody is going to be rocked with heavy freezing rain, though. Combine that with the winds.....
If past experience says anything, it’s that models tend to underdo IP and overdo ZR. Seems like I’ve seen a lot of storms over the years where we got IP at times we were supposed to get ZR.

so for CAE maybe little ice to rain?

I haven't caught up with everything yet today, but I think the OP GFS comes back to reality in the next few runs, more in line with it's ensemble mean; and believe that I-20 and North is in for a rough time. The particularly warm-biased ICON has quite an ice storm, Euro, NAM would, and UKMET at this point. Euro just slams us, again. So yeah; I-20 North, watch out.

I continue to have a hard time believing that, if the triangle start the event in the mid 20s as the euro advertises, we are able to bounce back above freezing. A lot of ice in that event
Been there done that, stick around Wake Co a while, it will make you a believer.

Atl is literally right on the line. Could be mostly rain or a good bit of ice

The ZR extends all of the way to the AL border on the 12Z Euro. So, it suggests it isn’t borderline and that ATL has a good opportunity for its biggest icestorm since Feb of 2014 and the biggest on the northside since Dec of 2005!! This wedge apparently means business.

Side note: The last check on the MJO had it inside the circle then, which is favorable for an Atlanta icestorm per history.

Indeed, though I don’t quite see how it takes that track with such strong CAD. Seems like it would need to be another 50-100 miles east? But I’m a modernweenie .
It switches it to rain from Raleigh, up to DC, Baltimore, NY City, and even Boston.

Done it many times in the past this looks pretty climo...bro. look over the nws rah past events page us1 is usually the fence that teeters around freezing with the deeper better cold about 50 miles west

Back