• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Jan 15-16 Winter Storm Discussion & Obs

It'll be interesting to see just how much of a front end thump we get here and how much if any over performance there is on initial cooling. Won't change the long term game but someone in this area could get a quick 2-4 of snow/sleet before changeover
Selfish weenism but I fully expect to pick up 2" from that, they have been known to go pound town just before the transition.

And you're much better at recalling past systems than I, do you remember a storm we tracked a number of years ago (prob over on TW), strong CAD, models wanted to drive it right up the wedge and last day or 2 they actually shifted more east around the "dome" of cold air? I know it doesn't always happen but seems I remember this very thing being tracked and us discussing it but I don't recall when or the details. I'm sure it was a different setup and models are better now, maybe.

So taking the Euro verbatim, it'd be rain, then that freezes and turns to a sheet of ice as 7 or so inches of snow piles up on that. Then we switch to sleet and get an inch on that which switches to freezing rain and drops .25 to .5 inches on that, following a coating of up to 2 inches of snow on the back side. A sandwich that spells disaster for the power grid.
I've got my electrician father coming over on Saturday to finally wire up my generator disconnect just in case. I'm in the 32.1 degree CAD zone typically but this has a 2000/2005 vibe to me.

So taking the Euro verbatim, it'd be rain, then that freezes and turns to a sheet of ice as 7 or so inches of snow piles up on that. Then we switch to sleet and get an inch on that which switches to freezing rain and drops .25 to .5 inches on that, following a coating of up to 2 inches of snow on the back side. A sandwich that spells disaster for the power grid.

North Fulton and Forsyth counties are in for a smorgasbord. Going to be an absolute mess in Alpharetta.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Selfish weenism but I fully expect to pick up 2" from that, they have been known to go pound town just before the transition.

And you're much better at recalling past systems than I, do you remember a storm we tracked a number of years ago (prob over on TW), strong CAD, models wanted to drive it right up the wedge and last day or 2 they actually shifted more east around the "dome" of cold air? I know it doesn't always happen but seems I remember this very thing being tracked and us discussing it but I don't recall when or the details. I'm sure it was a different setup and models are better now, maybe.
Was this back on Talkweather? I remember that and Shane was calling it like that well in advance.

1642014451491.png
notbad-basketball.gif

Back