• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Jan 15-16 Winter Storm Discussion & Obs

As Fro stated, this has an almost identical look to December 2002! The 85 corridor in Greenville, started as sleet/ZR, and temps about 29, temps fell to about 24-25 degrees for the duration. Not one flake of snow fell, but up towards Gastonia, they got a hard front end thump of snow, before changeover

Morning Folks..

Disco from KILM..
High pressure nosing in from the northeast on Saturday while a
potent trough dives south into the Ark-La-Tex.

The wedge will keep highs stuck in the low to mid 40s north of I-95 while southern areas
see upper 40s.

Saturday night as the upper low crosses the Gulf States its initial surface low will be directly underneath the upper
low.
At the same time height falls and strengthening warm advection
cause falling pressure off the Southeast coast and POPs will be
rising.
The 00Z guidance suite is showing some semblance of coming
towards a solution, but at this time it seems that none of them
probably have the evolution of the low level features correct.

The GFS probably looks the most suspect in its (new) depiction of a dual-
centered low though it has some faint support from the Canadian. The
EC solution indicates that the coastal low immediately comes to
dominate especially by 12Z Sunday.

The aforementioned congealing of just about all guidance is for a slightly slower progression as well
as a storm track closer to the coast. For our CWA this means that the opportunity for wintry precip has decreased.

At this time it looks like what may start as light rain early on will then change to
a chance for wintry precip as the wetbulb process causes temperatures to fall, especially inland.

The closer track suggests that this window may be small before the warm air aloft overwhelms
the system and most of the event is a cold rain, and possibly a
substantial drought-relieving one at that.

It is worth stressing however that this is only one model run and there still appears to
be an increasing chance for a significant ice storm SOMEWHERE in the
Carolinas.
Strong wording there at the end. I don’t envy pro mets right now but this is why they get paid the big bucks. This is going to be a big event for somebody who doesn’t normally get those.

EPS was less amped but track in ENC was slightly north, however it’s stronger with the damming and had colder sfc temps View attachment 104328View attachment 104329View attachment 104330View attachment 104331View attachment 104332I’m really liking that FGEN band tho, that’s the wildcard for snow in this setup, these tend to overperform in CAD setupsView attachment 104334
I can’t underestimate how strong of a CAD that really is. This is rare, guys. No two ways about it.

I can’t underestimate how strong of a CAD that really is. This is rare, guys. No two ways about it.
and it’s the one thing that all the models have in agreement… even the GFS with it far west solutions has maintained temperatures in the low to mid 20s throughout the NC Piedmont and Upstate SC as precip gets going

I will say right where I'm at is a very precarious location. If the GFS is the worst case in terms of temps, it's pretty close aside from a few hours of really pushing the warm nose in. It's all about that wedge and starting 850s. From how I see it, we either hold barely up here and the south side of the county or down to Alpharetta gets mixing, or we get a sleetfest to ice storm to a light dusting afterwards. Too early to say anything.

There’s gonna be a sharp gradient. There may be nothing at the airport, mixing in town, two inches in Alpharetta, and then a thumper north and east.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There’s gonna be a sharp gradient. There may be nothing at the airport, mixing in town, two inches in Alpharetta, and then a thumper north and east.

I disagree, I have seen it when they forecast no wintry precipitation for airport but the CAD was so strong they expanded the WWA or WSW south. So, the models are underestimate CAD.

I disagree, I have seen it when they forecast no wintry precipitation for airport but the CAD was so strong they expanded the WWA or WSW south. So, the models are underestimate CAD.

Sure my statement was more of a hypothetical. I don’t know where that gradient sets up and it very well could extend southwest of town but I do think that it could be a sharp drop off.

Back