• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Jammin January 2023

IMO, what we really need to see to get some legitimate chances for those of us east of the mountains is some better snowpack in the northeast. It’s absolutely putrid right now especially considering we’re going into mid-January. Hopefully they to cash in later this week, so that we have a better chance at scoring on some CAD opportunities.
Snowpack to the north and northwest is good for cold air maintenance as it travels south. It's particularly important when we're dealing with marginal air. It would be nice and would help mitigate the fact that we have very little snow cover to the north if we had some legitimate cold air around. But alas, c'est la vie.

What in the great googly Moogly … View attachment 129764
GFS went insane with blocking. IDK, but if there's any truth to what it's cooking up, that's a pattern changer.
gfs_z500a_namer_34.png

Gfs looking more like what EPS and other ensemble runs have looked in the future so that’s good to see View attachment 129770View attachment 129771

I hate to be that guy again, but the +PNA and eastern trough is also nice & all on the EPS, but the air mass just isn't very cold, or should I say cold enough to yield snow down in the southern US thru ~Jan 24-25 ish when moisture is also present.

Normally, that would be a reasonably exciting pattern for us but considering how little snow cover there is to our north after this massive warm spell to go along w/ the amount of warm air that needs to be wiped out before we even think about winter weather, I'm not impressed.

Back