• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Jammin January 2023

EPS Mean here for Jan 14-24...

Super Nino like Pac Jet Extension to California collapses, then the next extension emerges off E Asia and reaches out to Hawaii where we need it to go (wouldn't complain if it somehow just stopped and took a nice vacation there).

1NpaMu6.gif

I hate to beat a dead horse again and again and again but the air just isn't cold and the torch is coming back 5 days after this.
I think if this pattern verifies, we will have a better chance of a big snow somewhere between N. LA and N. S Car, than when we had what seemed to be the almost perfect pattern back in December with the extreme cold.

EPS Mean here for Jan 14-24...

Super Nino like Pac Jet Extension to California collapses, then the next extension emerges off E Asia and reaches out to Hawaii where we need it to go (wouldn't complain if it somehow just stopped and took a nice vacation there).

1NpaMu6.gif
I hear Hawaii is nice this time of year.

Euro control had a pretty significant snow event for Middle TN, Alabama and West GA at the end.

All about threading the needle in the south.
But it doesn't take the coldest of Air to get snow around here either. I've seen it Snow 3 inches here where I live just under 40° So not sure these folks hollering we don't this or that doesn't have the cold Air. Well who cares if it's 40 or below and the Columns is cold enough it can snow. Seen it time and time again.

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

But it doesn't take the coldest of Air to get snow around here either. I've seen it Snow 3 inches here where I live just under 40° So not sure these folks hollering we don't this or that doesn't have the cold Air. Well who cares if it's 40 or below and the Columns is cold enough it can snow. Seen it time and time again.

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk
Agreed. I’ll take the that pattern anytime over an arctic plunge.

Currently 70*F at DFW, overachieving by a few degrees.

Should make a run for 80*F tomorrow and Wednesday.

You're pathetic.
It's all good man. But you made your point well. You've done a really good job explaining how It's not an ideal pattern for snow. The cold is not real cold and a favorable pattern isn't likely to lock in. People were just posting a few optimistic-looking map to try and find some hope in this dumpster fire of a winter so far, even if it's not likely to lead to much.

Last week we had the dam burst idea. This week we're back to sloshing the bathtub ???

Ha I actually think the part about the bathtub sloshing via cold surges into EAsia, then turning cool/cold in NAmerica makes sense (via +EAMT), but he lost me when he mentioned later that it may lock in the rest of winter

So the Euro will have a 9KM(5.5 miles) space between gridpoints on the model. The GFS currently is 28KM(18 miles) between data points. Imagine there's a map with a point plopped at RDU airport. About 18 miles away is Eno River State Park.

Similarly, imagine a point plopped 5.5 miles from RDU as the crow flies, roughly Crabtree Valley Mall. That means there’s about 13 miles less distance between data points.

The euro has vastly more data to work with.
Thanks Bull. Maybe it can get a better handle on some of the meseo hi res snowfall boundaries at more distance out now

Ha I actually think the part about the bathtub sloshing via cold surges into EAsia, then turning cool/cold in NAmerica makes sense (via +EAMT), but he lost me when he mentioned later that it may lock in the rest of winter
Actually, given by the time the tub sloshes us a bone, winter will be just about over anyway so he's not wrong to say "locked in for the rest of winter" lol.

Back