• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Jammin January 2023

I don't think many people realize just how close Northern NC is to the game this weekend.

A couple small shifts and a swath of NC is getting pasted. (No weenie) Our energy is still offshore for another day.
View attachment 129765
It's extremely close for N half of NC that's for sure and not in lala land either.

We'd be attempting to flurry here but it's awfully dry below 700mb. Almost want this to move through mid afternoon to see if we could steepen lapse rates and get a little convection View attachment 129774
700mb moisture not horrible but yeah DPs in low 20s, might need a virga watch if this trend continues

I know we are all in the South, but there is some wild changes going on with this secondary low over the last 24 hours. Euro now has a Winter storm for the Northeast with that secondary low. Snow all the way down to the Delmarva.

I know we are all in the South, but there is some wild changes going on with this secondary low over the last 24 hours. Euro now has a Winter storm for the Northeast with that secondary low. Snow all the way down to the Delmarva.
Yep right now any trust in a model past hour 12 of the HRRR is not warranted. We should have major trust issues.

Northern stream energy is everything for this weekend. Models are strengthening that diving energy and it becomes the dominant piece at the bottom of the trough.
need this to continue to trend this way. In this case we actually need more of an inland track which is complete opposite of where we normally are.

5BDE9299-8FF5-4950-8546-25C516620CD5.gif51EF5729-28D4-4D4D-AD9C-D585BD4C67CB.gif

You could make up a dream scenario where there is more separation between the lead wave and the trailer and they act as 2 independent systems but given the seasonal trend really for the last 2 winters of a faster jet and less western ridge amplitude as you close in on hour 0 I doubt we get that lucky. I'd be happy to just get a few flurries or a quick period of legitimate light snow and even that might be hard to do as presented by the 2 most enthusiastic models.

Last edited:
Will this help increase accuracy? :p
So the Euro will have a 9KM(5.5 miles) space between gridpoints on the model. The GFS currently is 28KM(18 miles) between data points. Imagine there's a map with a point plopped at RDU airport. About 18 miles away is Eno River State Park.

Similarly, imagine a point plopped 5.5 miles from RDU as the crow flies, roughly Crabtree Valley Mall. That means there’s about 13 miles less distance between data points.

The euro has vastly more data to work with.

Last edited:
GEFS and GEPS so far continuing to indicate a cooler forecasted period by late month. Nothing that’s going to take away how warm it’s been but a period where we legit could actually score something wintry.
Jan 20-24 on the EPS Mean and EPS Control run

o4vrqFV.gif

xH1VheR.gif

Last edited:
Back